Plant friendly larger cichlids?

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Thanks for the suggestions

Krobia Xinguensis. Mellow though not sure of your other stock
These look nice, but I might have a hard time tracking them down. I don't think that I've seen them in my local LFS. I might be able to get an LFS to order them though.

My Gold Saum does not touch my plants. Like was said before though, I think this depends the fish.
I've heard that these can be nasty on plants. You may be right that it depends on the individual fish as mentioned earlier. I do have a grow out tank that I could try one out in before I put it in my big tank.

Keep the suggestions coming please.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Your not likly to find Krobia Xinguenses at most LFS. They are one of my all time favorite species of fish. I have bred many batches of fry and they have proven to be great parents and never so much as looked at a plant. I would check with Jeff Rapps or The Shark Aquarium has some from my pair. Here's a few pix. Two young fish and two adults. Notice it's a planted tank.

013.JPG

004.JPG

020.JPG

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
my pair is setting up shop to spawn now... if i could ship them to canada i would!! great under appreciated fish.

Aquanero- I guess i am not the only jersian with these running around my tank!

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Thanks for the info Aquanero; they look great. In my experience, it's pretty expensive to ship fish across the border. But maybe I can find some on this side.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I was always amazed that they are not more popular. They are great for a large community or a breeding pair in a planted 55 is perfect. They look great and don't bother any other fish but yet stand their ground if they have to. I honestly think between them and Chocolates they are my favorite cichlids. But I'm a sucker for cool South American cichlids anyway.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Your not likly to find Krobia Xinguenses at most LFS. They are one of my all time favorite species of fish. I have bred many batches of fry and they have proven to be great parents and never so much as looked at a plant. I would check with Jeff Rapps or The Shark Aquarium has some from my pair. Here's a few pix. Two young fish and two adults. Notice it's a planted tank.
Those Krobia look great Aqua. Thinking of getting some when I order my geo red heads from Jeff in a couple of months. Hopefully he still has them. :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Those Krobia look great Aqua. Thinking of getting some when I order my geo red heads from Jeff in a couple of months. Hopefully he still has them. :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Mythic.

Reach out peathenster on MFK he breeds both species, I got both from him and they were waaayyy cheaper and awesome stock.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Peat's a great guy and closer to you in Ga.

IndyTexy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
Plainfield Indiana
I was going to suggest nics as I have a group of six and they do not mess with any plants. I also have severums and hoplarchus psittacus in the same tank and they also do not root around too much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store