Plant friendly larger cichlids?

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Now I'm looking for some larger, plant friendly cichlids. I'd prefer something that maxes out in the 6-14" range. I don't have any plants in the substrate, everything is attached to rocks/driftwood, so diggers aren't an issue. My water is on the soft side; ph 6.6, kh 4. Tank mates so far are 5" jaguar catfish, and 8" megaladoris irwini.
All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
There are few species of fish that all destroy plants they are kept with. It seems to be an individual personality thing. I have sevs that could care less about the plants in their tank and rams that keep trying to uproot everything they can find (which is weird because rams are suppose to like plant cover).

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Thanks for the info. I have nics in another planted tank and they don't cause any problems. I was originally thinking of a jaguar cichlid, but I heard that they shred plants. Has anyone had success with jags in a planted tank?
Anymore suggestions?

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
Thanks for the info. I have nics in another planted tank and they don't cause any problems. I was originally thinking of a jaguar cichlid, but I heard that they shred plants. Has anyone had success with jags in a planted tank?
Anymore suggestions?
nah man jags are a bad idea, they will destroy any plants you try and keep with them, even if they're plastic

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
nah man jags are a bad idea, they will destroy any plants you try and keep with them, even if they're plastic
Thanks. I've seen them in planted tanks on youtube, but I've also read a lot of people saying the same as you. That's why I had second thoughts and decided to try and get some suggestions.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
My Gold Saum does not touch my plants. Like was said before though, I think this depends the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store