Gray bamboo shark

NovaSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
Panama city Florida
Hi, Ive been doing alot of research for around a year now on keeping sharks. I finally have a 96x48x36 tank, Huge skimmer, chiller, and heaters. I been wanting to get a gray bamboo shark, I have looked everywhere and cant find one for sale? I would like to get one very small and get to see him or her grow. I was also thinking of getting a ray that stays small, Lionfish, blue tang, and a zebra eel. Where can I find a dealer that sales this shark or its egg? im not really interested in the brown/black banded bamboo shark.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Welcome to the site!

Lately it seems that the only greys coming in are mislabled at brown banded bamboo sharks.... and it's pure luck/chance to find one. If I end up with more eggs from my pair, I'll let you know.

NovaSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
Panama city Florida
Thanks that would be great. I got this setup just for the gray bamboo shark and I had one site in mind that had them. But they are no longer around. I would feel better getting one from a breeder then a dealer. How often do they lay eggs?

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I'm pretty sure my local fish store has one for sale .But I'm in Milwaukee and I don't think they'll ship it.

Can u tell me what the difference is. I'm not into sharks and don't know

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Grey are a little smaller than brown banded, and will lose the stripes earlier. The biggest difference is the curve of the dorsal fin. The grey has a convex curve to the back edge - it curves outward. A brown banded has a concave dorsal - it curves inward.

Marlin85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
Florida
Zoodiver, do you have any good links or Pictures to show the difference between a Grey Bamboo and a Brown Banded Bamboo. I haven't been able to find any good info to tell the 2 apart.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
The one just posted is a grey for sure. I think I have a pic of them side by side somewhere. Let me dig it out today. If I can't find it, I'll just take a couple

Edit:
Not the best, but this is the dorsal of a brown banded bamboo. If you look at the back edge, you can see how it curves inwards vs the outward curve of the grey that Burbon just posted.

Brown banded.

Grey in my tank for reference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store