Converting Cichla off Live Food

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
This is how I convert my cichla.
Start w/ frozen blood worms...thaw em out.
Crush the pellets you would like your bass to eat.
MIx them in w/ the blood worms till they are a pastey-dough like consistency.
Feed by the spoon full or roll em up into little balls.
Feed away.

Then continue to add pellets to the mixture while keeping the bw the same.
Eventually they are eating 100% pellets.
Dither/teacher fish work wonders.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1379348712.511132.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1379348747.508955.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1379348789.262220.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1379348857.585659.jpg

In these pics I am also adding water to the mixture because I was using so many pellets to bw.
The water allowed me to use tons of pellets to very little bw and still made it dough like in texture.
I keep mine in the fridge and add water if needed to get to my desired consistency.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1379348712.511132.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1379348747.508955.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1379348789.262220.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1379348857.585659.jpg

Reactions: PantherEMT

lemarj

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2011
DC
I just bought one WC Orino and a WC French Guiana Occel from Sookn21 lastweek. Im going to try this method of pellet training.

This is how I convert my cichla.
Start w/ frozen blood worms...thaw em out.
Crush the pellets you would like your bass to eat.
MIx them in w/ the blood worms till they are a pastey-dough like consistency.
Feed by the spoon full or roll em up into little balls.
Feed away.
Then continue to add pellets to the mixture while keeping the bw the same.
Eventually they are eating 100% pellets.
Dither/teacher fish work wonders.

View attachment 967154
View attachment 967155
View attachment 967156
View attachment 967157

In these pics I am also adding water to the mixture because I was using so many pellets to bw.
The water allowed me to use tons of pellets to very little bw and still made it dough like in texture.
I keep mine in the fridge and add water if needed to get to my desired consistency.

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
Just chiming in with another option for frozen foods, if you have small bass that are stubborn about getting off live feeders:

If you have an international farmers market near you that have an SE Asian or Polynesian section, you may want to try picking up a pack of frozen whitebait fish (sometimes called silverfish). They are these really super small tiny fish that are eel-shaped and about 1-2 inches long. They are not any specific fish species, the term just refers to tiny juvenile fish that are eaten en masse in soups and other dishes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitebait

They can be torn in half or thirds after thawing, and my lilttle guys would pick them up nearly instantly -- sometimes the same day as receipt for 2.5" bass. I really like them because it's fish, so it's a no-brainer for most bass, and they are frozen as well, which means no parasites, and it buys you some time to get them trained on other frozen (and eventually dry!) foods.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Frozen Bloodworms & Follow Gangsters advice above.

anothermix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2014
Singapore
i have 2 8" kelberi gold which i bought 3 weeks ago, and have tried starving them for a time frame of a week before throwing in some feeders to them. however, they are totally uninterested in mps or pellets even though i starve them for 4-5 days. any suggestions what else i can do? i have another 2 azuls and another kelberi that are on full pellets.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
If they're all in the same tank, usually the new guys will learn from the others that the pellets are food to eat. Don't give in and start feeding them feeders or anything other than what they should be eating. Eventually they will conform.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
If they're all in the same tank, usually the new guys will learn from the others that the pellets are food to eat. Don't give in and start feeding them feeders or anything other than what they should be eating. Eventually they will conform.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I wish this was always the case. I have six bass in one tank, five of them eat anything that his the water. One simply shows no interest and I go a month before I'll break down and throw in some feeders so the guy can eat. This has been going on for five months and the guy is half the size of the others. He simply won't break.
Any other advice?

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store