RARE "Goeldiella eques" AT MY LFS!!!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I was at my LFS yesterday which always has rare, exotic, and sometimes near unheard of fish. Being the catfish-lover that I am in addition to being attracted to rare species took my eye to one of there lower tanks. They had two fish labeled as Horsehead Pimelodids. I immediately looked up the scientific name on planetcatfish and found this: http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=727 . Apparntly they are very rare and hard to come by and while they arent a member of the pimelodidae family, they are very closely related. PL says they only get 11 or 12 inches which sound perfect. My question is whether or not I could get one in my 75 gallon with tankmates of a severum, 2 other (undecided) semi-aggressive SA cichlids, 6 giant danios, 1 rainbow shark, 1 striped raphael catfish, and 1 sailfin pleco? If anybody reading this has ever owned one or owns one please respond or anybody who has never had one that knows about them, or anybody who can even read the info on the above link (which I did as well) and thinks they know how it would do in my tank. I am going back in 2 weeks to get my lasy fish and must decide by then whether to get it or a four-line pimelodus.

horseface pim.jpg

horseface pim.jpg

Reactions: moe214

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Anybody, even just basing off the parameters and size this fish gets, everyone's opinion is good.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I have owned several and currently have a pair. Very beautiful, underrated cat. Not exceedingly rare but indeed uncommon.

It is peaceful but if a (rather defenseless like danio) tank mate fits in their mouth, they are certainly in danger. Same with the 4-line pim = Pimelodus blochii. This is typical of almost all Pimelodidae and the pim-like Heptapteridae, to which the horse-face belongs.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I have owned several and currently have a pair. Very beautiful, underrated cat. Not exceedingly rare but indeed uncommon.

It is peaceful but if a (rather defenseless like danio) tank mate fits in their mouth, they are certainly in danger. Same with the 4-line pim = Pimelodus blochii. This is typical of almost all Pimelodidae and the pim-like Heptapteridae, to which the horse-face belongs.
Im willing to take that risk, since you have a few then how active are they? Do they come out during lights on at all and would you recommend it or a four line pimelodus For me. I can't have both (not enough room).

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Also, is it odd that the two they had there had all their barbels back. Just look at the picture both their barbels are like that. Are they just relaxing or do the have pimelodus syndrome?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Im willing to take that risk, since you have a few then how active are they? Do they come out during lights on at all and would you recommend it or a four line pimelodus For me. I can't have both (not enough room).
IDK much about them IN GENERAL and rather little from my experience. Mine and the ones I've seen at LFSs are hiders. Very nocturnal (much like almost all medium-sized pims, including the 4-line). IDK what they'd be like in a sizeable group, not that you could have that. 4-Lines in a large group are still overall hiders but are far more active than alone.

Hands down I'd go for the horse-face.

Also, is it odd that the two they had there had all their barbels back. Just look at the picture both their barbels are like that. Are they just relaxing or do the have pimelodus syndrome?
Hard to tell between stress or normalcy here. It is pale too which means stress usually... and it's spot is not too secure and lit too much. But then the substrate is dazzling white (?), which may explain the paleness.

Barbels? Could be simply not much water flow = not much to smell/taste. IDK. It may be simply resting but if I was real hard pressed to guess, I'd say it is a bit stressed. Could be from recent shipping, or new tank, or too much light, or too light substrate, or no good hidey hole or any combo thereof.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The store sure sounds interesting and worth a visit..what's the name and location if you don't mind?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks Sean,a little far as I'm on the other side of the state but I'll have to keep them in mind in case I ever head out that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store