ID Shark Housing

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
One has almost normal looking eyes. One has big eyes indeed that are very protruded, like pop-eye, looks indeed very wrong.

BT: ...I've made a 40% water change to the aquarium to start them off, then will continue with 10% WCs weekly.
TBTB: I'd do 10%-15% every day for one week and then 30%-40% weekly, just because your stocking is low.

BT: ...I hope to have these fellas in a pond after a few years, because a home can only handle so much water damage from the nature of an aquarium...
TBTB: What exactly are you taking about? Humidity damage? Many have a whole bunch of aquaria at home. I've had 10 tanks and a 4000 gal pond 40'x6'x3' in a 1400 sq ft house. I did not have any damage at all. The pond and two 150 gal rubbermade tubs and a few tanks were in the basement. I just ran a couple of dehumidifiers in there, is all. And this is very cheap. Perhaps ~$10 a month in electric cost. I did not do anything special to "protect" the house from the tanks on the first floor. Lots of bubblers were going 24/7 in all those tanks and ponds.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I completely agree with everyone on stunted fish that have big eyes. I can confirmed that theory. We have few small lakes that have populations of stunted fishes. From stunted green sunfish to common carps & catfish. All stunted fish have large head, large eyes and small body and they are usually thin. Never plumper.

There is a lake that always hold stunted populations of channel catfish. No catfish over 16" in that lake have caught.
[/URL]
Thanks MN_Rebel. Always good to have your input.

The channels in the photo - what would you say is wrong in their appearance? Most of them look normally proportioned, head/body look ok. If they are never over 16", then it is understandable - they are stunted. But does their appearance reveal that too? The eyes indeed may look bigger than usual...hard to say the eyes are obviously too big.

I have not noticed that from the photos in that SeriouslyFish article on stunting - all those catfish including IDS, had ~ normal looking eyes.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
A healthy channel catfish at that size should not have a head that is bigger than its body, especially the two big ones behind the small ones which have huge head. Another example of what a stunted fish looks like. These fish are tilapias from a spring in Idaho where there are no predators and limited food items.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
It looks way more pronounced in cichlids, maybe that's why people don't notice it in other fish.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
It looks way more pronounced in cichlids, maybe that's why people don't notice it in other fish.
Not true, it happens in almost all fish species. Sunfish, trout, pike, perch and carps/goldfish will looks worse when they're stunted than other fish species.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Well, anyways we're getting very derailed now :D What i'd like to know is if the pangasius would start growing Again if you give them the chance?

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
Yes! I'm very interested in that answer! I read some of the posted outsourced articles, and it seems kind of on the fence when it comes to if the fish will continue to grow after being relocated. It doesn't seem to specify how long or severely the fish must be stunted before their growth stops. (Probably because it's different for every fish, I'm sure.)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Yes! I'm very interested in that answer! I read some of the posted outsourced articles, and it seems kind of on the fence when it comes to if the fish will continue to grow after being relocated. It doesn't seem to specify how long or severely the fish must be stunted before their growth stops. (Probably because it's different for every fish, I'm sure.)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
If theyr gonna grow Again, i think theyr gonna put on a few inches in the 125, if you do a weekly buttom vacuum, and 30% waterchange, clean your filters, and all that. (Just a tip, clean your filter in aquarium Water, that you have sucked into a bucket, that way you dont kill the good bacteria.)

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
If they are in good shape and plumper, they will still growing but at slow rate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store