Trout Tank

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mate your brookies are awesome. I'd love to see a video positioned about where the first picture of the whole tank is in the first post of this thread to see what the tank looks like from a distance with movement. Please? :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
Great thread. I love the darter vids and pics (my favorite native fish type). I'm also very interested in river style native tanks. BTW, do you have a picture of your sculpin? What species is it? Thanks.

Mate your brookies are awesome. I'd love to see a video positioned about where the first picture of the whole tank is in the first post of this thread to see what the tank looks like from a distance with movement. Please? :)
I second that motion! ;)

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Thanks, Stone! Funny you should comment on the picture in the first post, it is a still that I grabbed from a video. Here, as requested, is the original video... even though it is partially terrible and unsteady.

And here is an old one of the trout fighting over a superworm, only to lose it to a white shiner...

And here is one that I shot last night, of the current behavioral issue that I am watching... poor little "S" getting bullied by current aphla "F" and then beta, "H". "S" is not doing a good job relaxing, and this level of harassment is inevitable... As for the eye on "F," is it very obvious from the end of this video that she has an issue... but that will be the topic of a new thread in the health forum when I get around to it.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Great thread. I love the darter vids and pics (my favorite native fish type). I'm also very interested in river style native tanks. BTW, do you have a picture of your sculpin? What species is it? Thanks.

I second that motion! ;)
Thanks, Chasmodes. My sculpin is either a mottled, Cottus bairdii, or a potomac, Cottus girardi, but I specifically collected that individual because he had some strange coloring in the field. I tend to lean towards the latter... I will try to get some new photos of him soon, he has never shown these colors since I brought him home... These photos are from collection day, straight out of the bucket. He is a little mean to my new darter, but I think they have enough space to resolve their issues with separation. Maybe I will get a video of the two of them skipping around at each other...

Sculp1.jpg Sculp3.jpgSculp2.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks, Chasmodes. My sculpin is either a mottled, Cottus bairdii, or a potomac, Cottus girardi, but I specifically collected that individual because he had some strange coloring in the field. I tend to lean towards the latter... I will try to get some new photos of him soon, he has never shown these colors since I brought him home... These photos are from collection day, straight out of the bucket. He is a little mean to my new darter, but I think they have enough space to resolve their issues with separation. Maybe I will get a video of the two of them skipping around at each other...

View attachment 1134408 View attachment 1134406View attachment 1134407
Wow! That sculpin is awesome, never seen one with that coloration, I've got a piebald female Tippecanoe Darter but that thing is just plain cool looking!

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Perfect, thanks! Such a wonderfully active tank.

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
I love the sculpin and the coloration is spectacular! Thanks for sharing the tank vids...I love that tank.

The white shiner is lucky that the brookie doesn't hold a grudge because he may have opted to swap out the super worm for a fish dinner!

Any signs of predation in the tank? Or are you feeding them enough that they tolerate each other?

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I love the sculpin and the coloration is spectacular! Thanks for sharing the tank vids...I love that tank.

The white shiner is lucky that the brookie doesn't hold a grudge because he may have opted to swap out the super worm for a fish dinner!

Any signs of predation in the tank? Or are you feeding them enough that they tolerate each other?
I do wish that the sculpin maintained that coloration, but it looks much more like an everyday potomac now... Still have yet to grab a good photo of him.

The shiner was the largest non-trout in the rank for a long time, he was fairly well protected from predation based on size alone. Unfortunately, the shiner showed symptoms characteristic of whirling disease (assumed, although no necropsy was performed) so he had to go. There certainly are plenty of bite sized fish in there for the trout, but I haven't noticed any missing souls (not that I do a head count very often). I do feed regularly, and when I discontinued regular feeding in the 180 at school, I lost everything (probably 30 fish?) under 4", except that Roanoke darter! He was the only one smart enough to hunker down, and he lasted months longer than the others before I scooped him home recently.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store