*******DONT ASK IF THEY'RE BANNED************

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
i just notice that no one is selling snakeheads in Canada anymore, even in legal provinces. Guess the vendors don't want to face any possible hassles with the law in the future.
Tell me about it!!!! I found one on kijiji but I chickened out. Probably just like the vendors (not in an insulting way just not wanting to deal with it)

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
What I don't understand is the wolf fish is just as aggressive and adaptable to climents as SH.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
What I don't understand is the wolf fish is just as aggressive and adaptable to climents as SH.
Old thread but Wolf fish aren't reproducing and spreading in the Rappahannock and Potomac River systems, with species dominating some canals in Florida. They also don't have the media hype.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Old thread but Wolf fish aren't reproducing and spreading in the Rappahannock and Potomac River systems, with species dominating some canals in Florida. They also don't have the media hype.
Wolf fish did reproduced in Florida for just three years but a harsh winter wiped them out. Wolf fish is still illegal in Florida tho. Wolf fish isn't adaptable as some snakeheads do.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There are even populations of thriving snakeheads in south eastern Pennsylvania.There is little to no chance of any wolf fish surviving here.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Wolf fish did reproduced in Florida for just three years but a harsh winter wiped them out. Wolf fish is still illegal in Florida tho. Wolf fish isn't adaptable as some snakeheads do.
You're right. Beyond breeding. Established is what I should have wrote.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Glad I'm in Canada! They are legal and none are established or breeding anywhere in the country.

(except in my basement of course! )

veet88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
calgary
Iv been hearing alot of rumors floating around that these will be banned throughout canada with the coming new year. I have yet to find anything in print about it mainly just word from shops. Anyone have any light to shed on this?

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Iv been hearing alot of rumors floating around that these will be banned throughout canada with the coming new year. I have yet to find anything in print about it mainly just word from shops. Anyone have any light to shed on this?

It's just a rumer , it's been floating around ever since the US ban took effect. Closest it ever came to reality was last year when a proposal was made to tighten regulations on many species including channa on a federal level but nothing ever came of it and in the end the laws were not changed.

So no federal ban on import or ownership but Some provinces have bans they are :

Quebec -ban on all channa & parachanna
Ontario-ban on all channa & parachanna
BC- ban on all channa & parachanna
Manitoba - ban on Channa Argus only.

Hope that helps clear it up!

In All other provinces they are completely legal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store