Alligator snapping turtle shell HELP!

kabaltah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Turkey
I had similar problem with my hatchling ally snappers. first I thought it was shell rot and treated with antibiotics, antifungals, antiseptics, salts, dry docked etc. But nothing helped. I had lots of mopani wood in my setup. Then I removed the woods and stopped treating, then the problem stoppped. The lost tissue did not heal up but, did not get worse too.
Then I have spoken to a chinese turtle breeder. He said that the problem was due to low ph. When I had woods in tank, my water was not low in ph because of regular water changes. But it was very high in tannins. It was almost dark brown.
I have seen your post when I was in search for a solution. You have a large wood in your tank too.
I have a theory, every source says ally snappers prefer soft water. But all videos taken from their natural habitats shows crystal clear water, no yellow or brown water.
I think the problem is tannins, not the ph. Tannins released from decorative wood known to protect fish, harden the skin of fish, prevent fungus and slows down slime coat production. Since ally snappers' shell is covered with a kind of skin unlike other turtle specieses. Tannin may have a negative impact on ally snappers. I got four more ally snappers after my first two with shell problems. And used only inorganic material in their tanks. No wood, no substrate. And they are growing up with no shell problems.

Here are the links about my topic, the external link has much more photos.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/alligator-snapper-shell-rot.609673/

http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/topic/80443-alligator-snappers-loosing-scutes/

kabaltah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Turkey
By the way, this is only a theory. I am sure there are lots of people who uses wood in their ally snapper tanks. But if my theory is true there are many factors about the use if wood. For example, size of wood compared to tank size, age and type of wood, older wood releases less tannins and some wood releases more tannins than others. Also carbon added to filter absorbs tannins and different type of substrate used in tank may absorb tannins too. In my situation it was a bare bottom tank, no carbon in filtration and lots of mopani wood compared to water volume. And mopani wood releases more tannins compared to bog wood. I believe water used for ally snappers should be neutral ph , clear water.
I have tried many medications without success so I believe this situation is releated to water chemistry.

kljr

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
It seems like we're having the same problem, how's your turtle doing now? I was suspecting if it has anything to do with UV-B lighting, since UV light can't really pass through water and ASTs don't bask. My turtle's pretty big while yours is still a hatchling, so it has nothing to do with age over time. I'm pretty sure it's something that we've been doing that's not right. Hope to get some useful advice from people here.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Is it just me, or do others who know something about turtles think he's TOO FAT ? The chubby legs puffing outside his shell indicate that he's obese, which is not a good thing. Their growth is slow, and they will gorge themselves if given the opportunity, but as John Richards says, " A fat turtle isn't necessarily a happy turtle over the long term".
He seems normal to me, a little on the chunky side but nothing dangerous. My common snapper, now he's a fat bastard, I have him on a special diet now because he was so pudgy. I find that obesity is more of a concern with common snappers than alligator snappers usually.

Ally

Feeder Fish
Sep 14, 2015
Hi, I have been reading this forum and in search for an answer for my AST. He seems to be having the same problem, with the tips of his shell turning white. It's been about half a year.

His appetite has been poor lately, used to be much better. Diet includes goldfish, snakehead n some crayfish (used to feed him turtle pellet but he seems to lose interest). Is his diet ok?!?!

Please advise. Thank u.

DSC_0529.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0070.JPG

Aaroncboo1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lockport IL
Are the tips of the shell soft at all? Maybe he is rubbing on the rock and grinding it down. Maybe try feeding worms to get him to eat.

Ally

Feeder Fish
Sep 14, 2015
Hi all, his appetite seems to be still poor. Have included small lobsters into the tank to vary his diet but he's been passive with poor appetite. Oddly, he is out of the water and basking for days on ends for 2-3weeks continuously. His shell tips seems jagged and chipped. Shell is hard but he jumped at the touch (not sure if he was scared or if his shell is painful). Cause for concern? The long term basking n chipped shell? :(

DSC_0648.JPG

DSC_0647.JPG

DSC_0568.JPG

Homer Siped

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2015
Have you taken him to a vet? I would look at water issues, as he doesn't want to be in the water. Ast usually stay right in the water. I posted this in a Facebook group for snappers, snapping turtle fanatics, if you are interested in joining. Hope he gets better

Ally

Feeder Fish
Sep 14, 2015
Yes, he's unusually out of water for about a mth. It's very odd as he had never been like that. Water should be fine as we have little lobsters and goldfishes doing well in the same tank. What's the link for Fb group? Thanks in advance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store