Alligator snapping turtle shell HELP!

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
They have tiasamain as well which can lead to neurological problems, parasites as well. They contain nothing as far as protien or nutrition. I do know this, I used to feed my cst goldfish and was advised not to, as soon as I quit feeding them he started growing really fast
Ok. I have heard about them containing thiaminase, and I agree that they don't really have any nutritional value. I rarely use them, but I was just curious since I've never used them long enough to see any effects.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I hear this all the time, and I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm curious how people know this? Does copper sulfate occur in them naturally? I've always been told not to feed goldfish and I don't use them as a staple food source but I've never had trouble with it, other than my fish sometimes getting bacterial infections (now I'm a little more wary about buying feeders).
I don't know everything about the subject but Alli snappers especially are affected by this more than others. It's not so much the health or lack of proteins of the fish but the copper sulfate. I don't know if this is a natural accruing thing with goldfish or if it's something they're feed to give them more color. But AST's will slowly die if feed them. These turtles have been known to live 150 years. Feeding them won't kill them quickly but over time.

Last edited:

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Ok. I have heard about them containing thiaminase, and I agree that they don't really have any nutritional value. I rarely use them, but I was just curious since I've never used them long enough to see any effects.
If you cannot feed frozen I would get minnows and keep them for about a month so the sick will die and you can give them a proper diet before giving them as food. You can breed them as well to keep a constant supply and give them proper care and food so you know their healthy

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Good foods for alligator snappers include:crayfish,shrimp,sunfish,raw chicken,freshdeli chicken,and if he eats them aquatic snails.
Sincerely Jason.

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper

ImmortanMatt

Feeder Fish
Nov 18, 2017
My AST seems to have the same problem as Kabaltah's and Kljr's turtles. Was the source of the problem ever discovered? If so what was it and how was it treated? Also an update on how your turtles are doing would be appreciated.

kabaltah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Turkey
My AST seems to have the same problem as Kabaltah's and Kljr's turtles. Was the source of the problem ever discovered? If so what was it and how was it treated? Also an update on how your turtles are doing would be appreciated.
Hi bro,all my turtles recovered from this condition. I have explained what I have done in the previous page. I have done frequent water changes and treated water with double dose blackwater extract.
I have never found out the exact reason but do those:

-Do frequent water changes at least a full water change once a week or twice.

- Tannins help them heal from the condition. Use a good blackwater extract when doing water changes or lots of peat etc in the filter.

- I don't know why but I believe driftwood or mangrow roots have bad effect on them. So take any out of the tank if you have.

- Water aeration increases water ph. So I have switched from ohf filters to internal power filters. Keep surface agitation at minimum.

- Also another suspect is high nitrates. You may have a very good filtration and crystal clear water. But if you don't do frequent water changes nitrate builds up in water. I believe nitrates are the main reason for most turtle shell problems. Even a turtle breeder told me not to use any filters instead change all the water 3 or 2 times a week. Cause filters end product of the nitrogen cycle is nitrates.

Please post some pictures of your turtle and setup and give some information about how you take care of it. If you success any information will be good for documentation.

Tigershark

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
New Hampshire
My Alligator Snapping Turtle eats minnows mostly, but I found out he has a fondness for blueberries so I give them to him every once in a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store