who else feeds crickets or any different critters

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
http://homeaquaria.com/diy-5-simple-fish-food-recipes/
The recipes listed here are very good and very cost effective. ...plus, they are easy to make.
I have taken centrum vitamins and crushed them into a powder. I would then take a small amount( about a pinch) and put that into a ziploc bag with three or four crickets, shake thoroughly, (like shake and bake lol) and then drop the dusted crickets into the tank....they don't float around long enough to wash the powder off...believe me. I didn't do this more than once or twice a month and I notice amazing color and growth along with rapid injury recovery and disease immunity. I learned the vitamin dusting from a guy that kept aquatic turtles.

QUOTE="DN328, post: 7410515, member: 123514"]Tell me more about powered vitamin dust? What kind and were there negative affects to water, etc.?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I will keep this in mind...I'm not ready for this, but will keep in mind. My family already think I'm crazy...so this may likely be the final nail when they see me making "recipes" for my fish.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
they float, and will escape if you have anywhere for them to grab on to near the top. You can smash them between your fingers in the water column if you are trying to get them to bottom feeders. That's what I do for my featherfin cat and polys in my African/Asian tank. The loaches, and bushfish take them from the surface.
Jeez,dude..lol....just put your bag of crickets in the fridge for a good 15-20 minutes. They're cold-blooded, the drop in temperature will slow them to a snail's pace. I used to do it for a Bearded Dragon I rescued that had Metabolic Bone Disease and he couldn't catch crickets at full speed.

Reactions: NewMomma2

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I hear the Japanese keep crickets in tiny cages for good luck... I suppose they feed them, wouldn't you think so? probably grasses, and lettuce and other such veggie odds and ends :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:
I'm also thinking this is not exactly what you meant :cool:
I believe its the Chinese that does the crickets in small cages for good luck

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
I tried putting some crickets in the tank but I didn't realize they FLOAT! The little buggers scrambled across the top of the water and out of the tank before the fish realized they were even there (any other time, my fish are practically jumping out of the water at chow time). I captured as many as I could but had a number of fugitives that taunted me with annoying chirps for the next few nights. Needless to say, I haven't tried it again.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I tried putting some crickets in the tank but I didn't realize they FLOAT! The little buggers scrambled across the top of the water and out of the tank before the fish realized they were even there (any other time, my fish are practically jumping out of the water at chow time). I captured as many as I could but had a number of fugitives that taunted me with annoying chirps for the next few nights. Needless to say, I haven't tried it again.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :p

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Jeez,dude..lol....just put your bag of crickets in the fridge for a good 15-20 minutes. They're cold-blooded, the drop in temperature will slow them to a snail's pace. I used to do it for a Bearded Dragon I rescued that had Metabolic Bone Disease and he couldn't catch crickets at full speed.
ya but frozen crickets still float lol, that's the issue. I have no issues with the live ones. The African bushfish know when I go in the cricket tank beside theirs, they wait lol. In my north American native tank I'm surprised the crickets hit the water between the crappie and bass.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
My aro, giant gourami and cichlids absolutely smash them, the very odd one that escapes and gets to the floating plants get snagged by the rope fish that actually lie in wait, a great food source...

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am Leary of live or frozen foods, pellets or freeze dried for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store