Hybrid snappers... It's possible!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
To be honest, I don't really think hybridizing any two species has a point other than personal achievement or profit. I usually don't like hybridization unless it's with two very similar species, but a hybrid snapper is something I thought I would never have the opportunity to own. Snappers are a personal favorite of mine, and I think it will be a very interesting experience to own a hybrid.
......and when you have the potential to breed a rare, threatened, vulnerable or endangered speices, WHY wouldn't you breed it to it's own species. That makes as much sense as breeding Ligers or Tiglons. EVERY tiger species is endangered, yet we still manage to NOT breed more pure-strain specimens because we like to "play God" and see what ELSE we can create.

Let's see if we can hybridize Golden Toads next....there's a whole 500 left in the world (if we're lucky).

Rant over.

@OP, check and see how long his neck is. AST have like no neck, CST can bite your hand halfway down the back of it's shell.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn and jjohnwm

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
......and when you have the potential to breed a rare, threatened, vulnerable or endangered speices, WHY wouldn't you breed it to it's own species. That makes as much sense as breeding Ligers or Tiglons. EVERY tiger species is endangered, yet we still manage to NOT breed more pure-strain specimens because we like to "play God" and see what ELSE we can create.

Let's see if we can hybridize Golden Toads next....there's a whole 500 left in the world (if we're lucky).

Rant over.

@OP, check and see how long his neck is. AST have like no neck, CST can bite your hand halfway down the back of it's shell.
Yes I see your point. But alligator snappers are making a comeback with captive breeding programs. Although, it would probably help if we'd stop making them into soup or sending them to Asia for the same reason.
I actually just asked him about the neck length a little bit ago (waiting for a response but Hong Kong is 13 hours ahead of my time zone). I've had both CST's and AST's, and handling my AST definitely makes me a lot less nervous than my CST, even though the latter never really showed any aggression.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yes I see your point. But alligator snappers are making a comeback with captive breeding programs. Although, it would probably help if we'd stop making them into soup or sending them to Asia for the same reason.
I actually just asked him about the neck length a little bit ago (waiting for a response but Hong Kong is 13 hours ahead of my time zone). I've had both CST's and AST's, and handling my AST definitely makes me a lot less nervous than my CST, even though the latter never really showed any aggression.
I got bit in the palm by a small CST when I was like 11 or 12 no bigger than a foot long and he had just ate a mouse or some type of rodent cuz I saw a bunch of fur floating around in the water after he bit me....I swear that wound got infected in a matter of minutes - I spent the next week washing and re-opening that cut to clean out the filth from that thing's mouth.

Learned my lesson early though ; to this day I have caught CSTs in the 50-60lb range or more (yes, they really DO get that big and can live over 150 years) with out so much as a scratch, both on land and in the water.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh I'm well aware of how big commons can get.Down at the nearby creek where I occasionally go to catch minnows there is big old boy that looks to be almost as big around as a manhole cover.On some sunny days it can be seen moving around in some of the shallow areas.....I call him Gamera.

Reactions: tlindsey

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Oh I'm well aware of how big commons can get.Down at the nearby creek where I occasionally go to catch minnows there is big old boy that looks to be almost as big around as a manhole cover.On some sunny days it can be seen moving around in some of the shallow areas.....I call him Gamera.
huh-huh.....Chip Kelly got fired lol what a bum.

and go figure Andy Reid is in the playoffs w/ KC right now :(

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
huh-huh.....Chip Kelly got fired lol what a bum.

and go figure Andy Reid is in the playoffs w/ KC right now :(
.....and with who is said to be our next coach,Doug Pederson.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store