breidohri Vieja type tankmates?

cprings

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
NJ
As expected, my male breidohri is quickly becoming too big/aggressive for the mid-level size/aggressive cichlids I have in my 5' 120. I will be moving him to a 210 soon and I have a good idea of the other CA cichlids that I will be adding but I would really like to add another Vieja type (Paratheraps, Theraps, Maskaheros, etc.). I wanted to get some opinions/experiences with keeping them together in a tank this size. I have kept a maculicauda and synspilum in the past in a 240 and absolutely loved these fish. I have been leaning towards another synspilum, blackbelt like I had, or get a regani or argentea which I have been wanting to keep for years. Any thoughts or experiences are much appreciated. Here are a few Iphone shots I just took of the breidohri. Not the best quality but you can get a good sense of the coloration on this dude:

Thanks!

Reactions: dan518

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
It's gonna work out great. Vieja, Argentea, Syns--that's what they go with. I had one that got up to 10 inches before he died. He was very breedy. Always flaring up his fins, swimming around other fish with his fins flared up, trying to get somebody in the tank to get the idea.

He'd fight a good bit, but nothing real crazy. I never worried about him really killing any fish. He was one of the only fish that could stand up to a big Zonatus I had in the tank at the time. I wish I still had him.

Scout1984

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2019
Indiana
As expected, my male breidohri is quickly becoming too big/aggressive for the mid-level size/aggressive cichlids I have in my 5' 120. I will be moving him to a 210 soon and I have a good idea of the other CA cichlids that I will be adding but I would really like to add another Vieja type (Paratheraps, Theraps, Maskaheros, etc.). I wanted to get some opinions/experiences with keeping them together in a tank this size. I have kept a maculicauda and synspilum in the past in a 240 and absolutely loved these fish. I have been leaning towards another synspilum, blackbelt like I had, or get a regani or argentea which I have been wanting to keep for years. Any thoughts or experiences are much appreciated. Here are a few Iphone shots I just took of the breidohri. Not the best quality but you can get a good sense of the coloration on this dude:

Thanks!
This thing is a stunner, you still have him or remember where you got him?

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Was going to reply on it but the thread was from 2016 lol. Think things could have changed for the OP since then. Damn thread recycling lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store