REACTORS- Filtration for stingrays

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
OK- this thing was buried and it took me to long to find it... and it is to much good info to be buried... so sticky it shall be.

mrrobxc mrrobxc

Reactions: 00kevin and mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
OK- this thing was buried and it took me to long to find it... and it is to much good info to be buried... so sticky it shall be.

Thank you Jay!!!

mrrobxc mrrobxc

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Nice to see. Great filtration advice and ideas here. Hope this helps many. I've been sold on the setup for years now and rays seem to love it.

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Looks nice is that an algae scrubber on the right?
yes it is charney! i just put it on today actually! i posted it in my setup/filtration thread. Its the same one the uraujoey posted about a month ago. very simple build, costs about 100$ to make with all the parts. I have no complaints with it for now. i am just waiting on suction cups. but its still nothing compared to your filtration lol

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Where are you guys placing your reactors? After your filter and before the Aquarium right?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
yes it is charney! i just put it on today actually! i posted it in my setup/filtration thread. Its the same one the uraujoey posted about a month ago. very simple build, costs about 100$ to make with all the parts. I have no complaints with it for now. i am just waiting on suction cups. but its still nothing compared to your filtration lol
cool let me know how it works. Been playing with that idea

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Where are you guys placing your reactors? After your filter and before the Aquarium right?
it does not really matter as long as its after the mechanical filtration filtering out the large particles. Filtration isnt as efficient as you think it is. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate still pass through the actually aquarium from the sump even after its passed through the ceramic media... there will never be 100% NO ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate even though its undetected from your test kits. Nor is it like the ammonia and nitrite only pass through the filter once before its eliminated. it'll keep circulating regardless. But mechanical filtration is an exception. its purpose it to prevent large objects and large mass of filth from clogging up your filtration. hope this helps!

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
it does not really matter as long as its after the mechanical filtration filtering out the large particles. Filtration isnt as efficient as you think it is. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate still pass through the actually aquarium from the sump even after its passed through the ceramic media... there will never be 100% NO ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate even though its undetected from your test kits. Nor is it like the ammonia and nitrite only pass through the filter once before its eliminated. it'll keep circulating regardless. But mechanical filtration is an exception. its purpose it to prevent large objects and large mass of filth from clogging up your filtration. hope this helps!
Yes for sure. See I will be doing something a little different. Two tanks outside my Aquarium. First tank sits up high with mechanical, which then goes through micron Socks, to the next tank full of K1 then back to the Aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store