Stingray death curl?

fiire

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2011
Western Australia
Hi guys,

My pup has recently started to arch it's whole disk upwards then put it down again. He does his constantly and it doesn't look voluntary. The thing that has got me stumped is he started it after a water change and he is still eating and has been eating heavily the whole time I've had him (1.5weeks).

I've tested the water 0,0,35 ammonia nitrite and nitrates and 3kh. He is in a sectioned off part of the tank by himself. Filtration is a sump filled with marine pure and an Eheim 2215. Water changes are twice a week 40% each time. I also recently took out the substrate (garnet sand).

image.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys,

My pup has recently started to arch it's whole disk upwards then put it down again. He does his constantly and it doesn't look voluntary. The thing that has got me stumped is he started it after a water change and he is still eating and has been eating heavily the whole time I've had him (1.5weeks).

I've tested the water 0,0,35 ammonia nitrite and nitrates and 3kh. He is in a sectioned off part of the tank by himself. Filtration is a sump filled with marine pure and an Eheim 2215. Water changes are twice a week 40% each time. I also recently took out the substrate (garnet sand).

View attachment 1186421
jim barry jim barry
mrrobxc mrrobxc

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Your ray looks very healthy from the pic. Its not unusual for them to display such mannerisms, what I can tell you is your ray is definitely "not" going through the process of death curl, Stingrays cease to feed and generally die within hours once they start to curl.

fiire

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2011
Western Australia
Your ray looks very healthy from the pic. Its not unusual for them to display such mannerisms, what I can tell you is your ray is definitely "not" going through the process of death curl, Stingrays cease to feed and generally die within hours once they start to curl.
Hi thanks for your reply.

It's just that it seems it's involuntary and doesn't look normal. He'll do it for a few hours on end. He usually begins by arching his back and then lifting up his disk.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Second pic looks extreme but I wouldn't say its curling because it looks healthy and doesn't have the other signs of curl. Just keep him eating and keep up with water changes and he will eventually settle in.

Reactions: fiire

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Could substrate be bothering him? Have you been able to get a good look at his belly? Not death curl, but if he's doing it hours on end not normal either.

Raynado

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Under the rule of my Wife
A few of my rays do this so don't be alarmed. Try slowing down the flow rate from your hose to tank when doing a water change. Perhaps the sudden change in temp and PH is stressing him a little. Keep us posted and enjoy ray keeping!

Reactions: fiire

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
jim barry jim barry
mrrobxc mrrobxc
Just learning about stingrays myself. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Reactions: tlindsey

fiire

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2011
Western Australia
Ok much more relieved that some other rays have been seen to do this. I think Raynado Raynado is right, I did fill up the tank rather fast and I also took out the sand which may have stressed out the ray. I will fill up much slower next time

He actually stops doing it when he begins eating, so I'm really hoping that it goes away soon. If it doesn't I may add the sand back in to see if it helps.

A friend has instructed me to use a specific ph lowerer that lowers the ph very very slowly. He says its brought some of his pups back from nearly dying

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store