Silurus glanis...overdue upgrade

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I have to ask, he squishes his face to the glass whenever you seem to move closer, is he one of those fishes that act like an actual pet?

Nothing feel better than your fish greeting you and rubbing against your hand when you put it in the water :)

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I have to ask, he squishes his face to the glass whenever you seem to move closer, is he one of those fishes that act like an actual pet?

Nothing feel better than your fish greeting you and rubbing against your hand when you put it in the water :)
Yeah, he's a window licker :) lol... def. a "wet pet" I intend to keep him alone so his personality stays that way. I fear any tankmates would change his behavior. Hands down the most active/open water cat ive ever owned. He hand feeds daily and is constantly begging for food if im around.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Nice update. I just got some babies in., and compared to the mariodonalis, the difference is the silurus glanis have 6 barbels vs. 4 barbels on the maridonalis.
Thanks Wes, always appreciated comin from u! Heard through the grape vine u asked about me so i figured an update of my wels was due. Good observation on the difference between s. mariodonalis and the s. glanis. From looks the head and bottom jaw/lip appeared different to me, also top wisker placemet, but u hit the nail on the head with a difinitive wisker count i overlooked, Nice work. I need to set aside some money and make an order, its been a long while :/ . Busy as always over here building/moving tanks/matinence. Hope to have this wels in his new 3,500g by winter so we can really see him stretch out :)

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Yeah, he's a window licker :) lol... def. a "wet pet" I intend to keep him alone so his personality stays that way. I fear any tankmates would change his behavior. Hands down the most active/open water cat ive ever owned. He hand feeds daily and is constantly begging for food if im around.
At some point my maridonalis will be alone. I haven't tried hand feeding yet because those damn Dats will interfere.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
At some point my maridonalis will be alone. I haven't tried hand feeding yet because those damn Dats will interfere.
ive had a few tank mates with him when he was smaller 18-24"ish and never had any problems, just my personal preference to keep him alone, i dont want a scratch on em lol...or have em eat anybody just the same. . From 7-18" he was on sinking pellets, 18"-30" on sinking and floating pellets. 30"-36" floating pellets and from 36"-44" hes pretty much just been eatin full tilapia fillets as pellets just became too small. The floating pellets def helped him learn to had feed. Now he pretty much just waits for me to "open the hatch" and drop food on his head. Im probably going to start stockpiling bluegill/perch in my freezer for him for a more varied/balanced diet. I know tilapia isnt the best staple.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
ive had a few tank mates with him when he was smaller 18-24"ish and never had any problems, just my personal preference to keep him alone, i dont want a scratch on em lol...or have em eat anybody just the same. . From 7-18" he was on sinking pellets, 18"-30" on sinking and floating pellets. 30"-36" floating pellets and from 36"-44" hes pretty much just been eatin full tilapia fillets as pellets just became too small. The floating pellets def helped him learn to had feed. Now he pretty much just waits for me to "open the hatch" and drop food on his head. Im probably going to start stockpiling bluegill/perch in my freezer for him for a more varied/balanced diet. I know tilapia isnt the best staple.
I recommend you get a throw net. Great way to catch large amounts of small fish. You can learn to do it in a day. I bought mine at Walmart for about $25.

Reactions: wednesday13

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Are they legal in Kansas and other states , Rodger? I know they are legal in FL but don't know about other states.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store