Silurus glanis...overdue upgrade

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I recommend you get a throw net. Great way to catch large amounts of small fish. You can learn to do it in a day. I bought mine at Walmart for about $25.
great idea Rodger, cast netting is def a good skill to have, ill have to pick one up... I dont trust most of my local water ways here in Ohio. I live in an old steel town with heavily polluted rivers/creeks from that era but do have acess to a few private ponds... limits on bluegill can be had in an hr or so. Sadly any local lakes/rivers have mercury advisories for human consumption :/ .

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
That thing is a beastly beauty......

Reactions: wednesday13

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I heard from wes's Stock list these beasts may get a ban on import soon....I may shift my entire stock/future plans just so I can get one of these from him and cater my fish keeping around getting one. Strongly debating on getting one and keeping it alone not sure though.....really tough decision. I like wet pets.....not sure how these compare to that of other wet pet type fish....if I were to keep one and no other fish in a massive tank/pond it would have to be worth it. what do you think? wednesday13 wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I heard from wes's Stock list these beasts may get a ban on import soon....I may shift my entire stock/future plans just so I can get one of these from him and cater my fish keeping around getting one. Strongly debating on getting one and keeping it alone not sure though.....really tough decision. I like wet pets.....not sure how these compare to that of other wet pet type fish....if I were to keep one and no other fish in a massive tank/pond it would have to be worth it. what do you think? wednesday13 wednesday13
Theyve been on the attempted "ban" list since 2000ish...hopefully they stay on the list and it never passes lol... and imo this is the most active/personable species of cat ive ever owned... Some tankmates would prob be more than fine also i just prefer to keep mine alone for his own safety. I dont want a knick or scratch on him :). Not worth me putting him with anyone who could eat an eye out or he could choke on tryin to eat even if its ok. All depends what u like man...my specimen is hands down the epitmy of fish keeping for me so im a bit bias. I just sent off a truckload of other "run of the mills" to ensure my guys safety/space for the future. Took me a while to give in and let some stuff go...but its all worth it in my eyes. Luckily i have close friends who could take close to 100lbs of fish, show up with an 800 gal on a trailor and also provide good husbandry/space for them. I say go for it...but to each their own my friend... whatever makes u happy is what its all about. Not what other people think is cool or trendy.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Theyve been on the attempted "ban" list since 2000ish...hopefully they stay on the list and it never passes lol... and imo this is the most active/personable species of cat ive ever owned... Some tankmates would prob be more than fine also i just prefer to keep mine alone for his own safety. I dont want a knick or scratch on him :). Not worth me putting him with anyone who could eat an eye out or he could choke on tryin to eat even if its ok. All depends what u like man...my specimen is hands down the epitmy of fish keeping for me so im a bit bias. I just sent off a truckload of other "run of the mills" to ensure my guys safety/space for the future. Took me a while to give in and let some stuff go...but its all worth it in my eyes. Luckily i have close friends who could take close to 100lbs of fish, show up with an 800 gal on a trailor and also provide good husbandry/space for them. I say go for it...but to each their own my friend... whatever makes u happy is what its all about. Not what other people think is cool or trendy.
I completely relate to what you are saying. I only have 5 tanks running and I'm thinking i will only have 6-8 fish in the not to distant future.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I completely relate to what you are saying. I only have 5 tanks running and I'm thinking i will only have 6-8 fish in the not to distant future.
im tryin to be down to 10 tanks total...lol..still will be a total volume around 7,500gal but all on autodrip systems so matienence isnt so bad these days. i enjoy my low stocks of 1-6 fish per oversized tank aswell for ease of "chores"... i always wondered how the older members had restraint and i am finally learning it myself over the years in the hobby. I started breeding rays to help fund my projects/utilities and life has been much more relaxing. For many years i was a slave to the hobby rather than enjoying it. My motto these days has been "ive kept the rest, now keep the best" :). Was hard to part with some fish ive had for many yrs, but if there costin me more money than there worth to me its not worth feedin em sadly. I spent 2 many yrs accepting donations/rescues that it hindered the bigger picture. My own personal collection is doing much better now after weeding out other peoples burdens. I can afford to feed them more and quality of life has improved for me greatly over the past few yrs. My fish #'s in house may be down, but gallons are still goin up :) and progress on some front is always a good thing.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
20160709_005854.jpg
20160709_005907.jpg
20160709_003543.jpg
20160709_003541.jpg
20160709_003831.jpg
all this talk deserves an update...46" on the tape... :) . time to get busy quick lol... prob gonna have to toss him in my 1,400 to buy me some time to finish out the 3,500...

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
20160615_134557.jpg
20160615_135526.jpg
20160615_151621.jpg
20160615_151614.jpg
20160615_145731.jpg
"its all for u Damien" hahah... special thanks to bigrich545 and his son Josh aka lamanuts for helping me out over the years and on this last "fish exodus" a cple weeks ago. Sometimes u just gotta let some things go to move forward and its nice havin a community here that looks out for one another. Only on MFK does someone show up at ur house with an 800gal tub on a trailer when u need a favor. This is how u move monsters :). Total stock list i gave up was 3 tsn, 1 ripsaw, 1 irwini, 1 tsnxlei hybrid, 2 albino pacu, 3 gator gar and an aba aba knife. All fish have been with me 3-7yrs, a tough pill to swallow but its all for the better. I can go get em back if/when i desire and am done with the 3,500.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store