How Long Has Your Equipment Lasted?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Yeah 1976 tanks never sealed is amazing. I think a lot of it has to due with storage and usage. If you let it rot outside the seals will deteriorate or in a humid environment like a garage. I have an air pump thats at least 20 years old. Very old school I used it but it was crap. Got a better one for like 15 bucks and lasted me like 8 years. I was going to rebuild the diapgram and this and that but for the cost of a new one its not worth it. It still works but you can't even hook up 2 air lines to it. The one I have I got 5 air line tubes going from it and has outlet for 2.

ZAK SIDIOUS

Feeder Fish
Oct 11, 2013
So Cal USA
Howdy,

The members of this site have a huge experience with equipment. Many of us have had fish tanks for years, some for decades. Low-quality sucks, we want equipment that lasts. When we set up a tank, we're in it for the long run!

What are your favorite brands, what can you rely on? I am not asking for the newest gadget you bought, not for the set-up with the fanciest extras. I also don't want to know what sucks. I want to hear from those of you who have been running one piece of equipment for at least 3 years and would purchase it again if it ever broke (however, hoping it will last for many more years).

Here is mine:

Eheim 2211, run-time 16 years, still counting

Bring it on! :thumbsup:
HarleyK

Ps
I know this question might inspire a brand war. But I am counting on your cooperation in keeping this a positive thread. Please only state positive experiences and refrain from negative comments on other member's experiences. Thank you
Fluval 403 hands down. Nearly 30 years n counting. Only replaced media, a couple impellers and a few o-rings. Flow is still way strong

Kaia

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2015
NW Washington
Wow these stories are awesome! I originally wanted to buy an Eheim pro but the reviews almost all mentioned how brittle the plastic is on the new models :( anyone know which model to get for a 75 gal nowadays?

Dustin0413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
I have two Rena xp3's on one of my 125's for 18 yrs. I recently replaced one of the xp3's with the newer version "L." The xp3 still works, It was just a bit noisy. Probably needs a new impeller.

One of my 125 tanks is 20 yrs old and no resealing ever done.

And now for my favorite: 15 yrs ago I needed new intake plumbing (the parts in the water that go to hose.) I grabbed a small garlic salt shaker, dumped the salt in trash can, drilled a bunch of holes in the shaker, and used ELECTRICAL tape to attach my rigged up intake to the plumbing. It was meant to be a temporary fix till I could get a new one, but 15 yrs later I'm still using it lol

Reactions: eddiegunks

KQizzle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2016
only downside on fluvals is the constant impeller breaking or mishandling. i've been a fluval user for years and only come to that small issue. I currently just picked up a 180gallon tank and a new fx6 that i will set up soon!

harveysburger

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
Canada
Fx6 3 years and counting, just as quiet as before, no issues

Had three AC110 over the years (previously aquaclear 500 i think ?), each kept for 3 or more years without any problems

My eheim heaters are going strong still, each are 5 years or more

Had an eheim pro2 canister for many years , it was very silent, leak free , etc, but eventually everything started going wrong, still i had at least 5-6 good years with it

KQizzle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2016
Fx6 3 years and counting, just as quiet as before, no issues

Had three AC110 over the years (previously aquaclear 500 i think ?), each kept for 3 or more years without any problems

My eheim heaters are going strong still, each are 5 years or more

Had an eheim pro2 canister for many years , it was very silent, leak free , etc, but eventually everything started going wrong, still i had at least 5-6 good years with it
wow ! i just got a fx6 recently but have not set it up yet. I will be setting it up once my 180 is ready. how is the maintenance on it?

harveysburger

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
Canada
wow ! i just got a fx6 recently but have not set it up yet. I will be setting it up once my 180 is ready. how is the maintenance on it?
Easy, only inconvenience I guess is it's pretty large and heavy so it's hard to pull out of the tough spot where I put my unit :)
Also when disconnecting the hoses i always get a small spill from the tip of the hoses. No big deal, the unit is on a rubbermaid so it doesnt matter. But i havent experienced the same with other canisters

The auto priming works great,

I have a 406 right now and will replace it for a second fx6

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store