Formerly Fallen

Feeder Fish
Jul 30, 2016
Hey, so I've had a rope fish for about 3 weeks now. He's in a 39 gallon tank with the following:

4 Angel fish
2 Blue Rainbows
2 Electric Blue Rams
2 African Butterflies
2 Green Cory Cats
2 Assassin Snails
1 Bristlenose Pleco
and 10 Diamond Tetras

And then the ropefish itself. Now everyones doing fine, my water parameters are fine. I do water changes about twice a month, sometimes 3 times IF I HAVE TO (Its rare that i do). I have an appropriate motor head, airation system, lighting, canister filter, and some living plants to help against Nitrates. Also i use gravel, not sand, just thought i might need to include that.

NOW, the fish store i drive to is 30 minutes away but by far the most reliable. But they recommend only feeding my ropefish blood worms, and nothing more. And ive done so for the first 2 weeks or so.

Id feed my other fish around 9 am - 12 am, and then at 9 pm - 11 pm. Then around midnight turn off the lights in the room and tank, and leave a faint red light on (via my LEDs). After a couple of hours id feed my ropefish around 2 am or 3 am. Im an insomniac so his feeding schedule is of no problem to me. BUT even after all that! My fish would still manage to beat him to the blood worms most of the time. So id have to take small batches of the worms and drop them right next to him, sometimes he would get to it first, other times not, more often then not the latter. So my first thought was a larger food that my other fish could peck at all they want, but when my rope fish finally finds it, theres still enough to feed him. SO i found Krill, frozen. Now he LOVES IT, but ive noticed that at times he does get a bit of a bump in his belly after eating some. I feed him 1 krill a night.

IS THIS OK? The bump is something i'm feeling kind of uneasy over, so should i only feed him 1 krill every few days? Should i not use krill at all for a main food supply for him? I've seen other that use "Shrimp pellets". Never used them but i'm assuming they work the same as regular fish pellets. Any advice on how many times to feed him a day, and how often (Every day vs every other day for example). And what for the main food supply. If the krill is ok id like to continue using that.

FORGOT TO MENTION: He used to swim around, A TON. And now after feeding the krill he will swim sometimes, but is a lot calmer and like to chill more. He seems fine, id say its an improvement but that's to my knowledge which could be completely incorrect.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey, so I've had a rope fish for about 3 weeks now. He's in a 39 gallon tank with the following:

4 Angel fish
2 Blue Rainbows
2 Electric Blue Rams
2 African Butterflies
2 Green Cory Cats
2 Assassin Snails
1 Bristlenose Pleco
and 10 Diamond Tetras

And then the ropefish itself. Now everyones doing fine, my water parameters are fine. I do water changes about twice a month, sometimes 3 times IF I HAVE TO (Its rare that i do). I have an appropriate motor head, airation system, lighting, canister filter, and some living plants to help against Nitrates. Also i use gravel, not sand, just thought i might need to include that.

NOW, the fish store i drive to is 30 minutes away but by far the most reliable. But they recommend only feeding my ropefish blood worms, and nothing more. And ive done so for the first 2 weeks or so.

Id feed my other fish around 9 am - 12 am, and then at 9 pm - 11 pm. Then around midnight turn off the lights in the room and tank, and leave a faint red light on (via my LEDs). After a couple of hours id feed my ropefish around 2 am or 3 am. Im an insomniac so his feeding schedule is of no problem to me. BUT even after all that! My fish would still manage to beat him to the blood worms most of the time. So id have to take small batches of the worms and drop them right next to him, sometimes he would get to it first, other times not, more often then not the latter. So my first thought was a larger food that my other fish could peck at all they want, but when my rope fish finally finds it, theres still enough to feed him. SO i found Krill, frozen. Now he LOVES IT, but ive noticed that at times he does get a bit of a bump in his belly after eating some. I feed him 1 krill a night.

IS THIS OK? The bump is something i'm feeling kind of uneasy over, so should i only feed him 1 krill every few days? Should i not use krill at all for a main food supply for him? I've seen other that use "Shrimp pellets". Never used them but i'm assuming they work the same as regular fish pellets. Any advice on how many times to feed him a day, and how often (Every day vs every other day for example). And what for the main food supply. If the krill is ok id like to continue using that.

FORGOT TO MENTION: He used to swim around, A TON. And now after feeding the krill he will swim sometimes, but is a lot calmer and like to chill more. He seems fine, id say its an improvement but that's to my knowledge which could be completely incorrect.
Welcome to MFK :) Your ropefish will not survive on bloodworms alone, and so happy to hear it is eating krill. As for the bump after the ropefish has after eating that is normal so don't worry. Ropefish can be fed pellets, small pieces of tilapia just don't over feed so you don't jeapordize water quality. Furthermore go to forum under ancient fish, and there is tons of info and from experienced members. :D

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome to MFK :) Your ropefish will not survive on bloodworms alone, and so happy to hear it is eating krill. As for the bump after the ropefish has after eating that is normal so don't worry. Ropefish can be fed pellets, small pieces of tilapia just don't over feed so you don't jeapordize water quality. Furthermore go to forum under ancient fish, and there is tons of info and from experienced members. :D
Also type in ropefish in the search bar at the top left corner, and info on any ropefish will appear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store