Good morning from a growing EBJD

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Electric blue Rocio Octofasciata is a natural occurring color morph, not a hybrid of Rocio Octofasciata and Nandopsis Tetracanthus. I can see the resemblance sort of though
Wow thanks for letting me know. I don't believe in fairy tales like you do though :) Plus the things I've seen personally while breeding hybrids for years has me at 100% certainty. Nice fishes either way.
Once people finally get over them being a naturally occurring phenomenon and try and replicate the original breedings they won't have to be eternally inbred here stateside and we can get around to actually having healthy electric blue "jack dempsey". Cheers

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Wow thanks for letting me know. I don't believe in fairy tales like you do though :) Plus the things I've seen personally while breeding hybrids for years has me at 100% certainty. Nice fishes either way.
Once people finally get over them being a naturally occurring phenomenon and try and replicate the original breedings they won't have to be eternally inbred here stateside and we can get around to actually having healthy electric blue "jack dempsey". Cheers
But aren't you just breeding a fish that looks like an EBJD but actually isn't? There's a lot of information on these forums stating it's a recessive gene

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Looks pretty good so far. Keep your fingers crossed :)

But aren't you just breeding a fish that looks like an EBJD but actually isn't? There's a lot of information on these forums stating it's a recessive gene
They are apparently not a recessive or a dominant according to what I have heard.....it's really weird how their genetics works

duanes duanes peathenster peathenster RD. RD. Oddball Oddball

Can u guys explain it again......I still don't quite understand it

Last edited:

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
The original breeder used a deceptive story to be able to sell his fish at a time when hybrids were very much looked down upon in the hobby. Don't you ever wonder why every ebjd looks different even siblings from the same spawn?

Brittanirdh

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 15, 2016
TN
Not to argue with anyone, but before buying my EBJD I straight out asked the breeder in an email how the one I was going to buy came to be. He responded by saying they use a EBJD male and a BGJD female to breed them. So this particular guy is not a hybrid.

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
Not to argue with anyone, but before buying my EBJD I straight out asked the breeder in an email how the one I was going to buy came to be. He responded by saying they use a EBJD male and a BGJD female to breed them. So this particular guy is not a hybrid.
That is what I believe gives you EBJD. .... can someone vet it

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Missing the point on the hybrid thing guys. I was talking on the origins of this strain, not where you got yours. Your eb is a decendant of hybrids, your "bg" is a decendant of hybrids. Every ebjd is from a hybrid pairing and line breeding a long time ago (1986?) and the reason they are all weak is the constant crossing to "founder strain" (ebjd) which is just esentially inbreeding every single generation. The crossing to jd is to ensure fertility. Nobody breeds eb x eb because they don't survive (inbred 80 generations and too much hybrid genetic variety) but the jd outcross adds just enough pure jd blood to the mix to keep them fertile and almost (barely) vigorous.
Wasn't trying to derail just pointing out the cuban cichlid look in that fishes profile in the pic I commented on.

Reactions: Brittanirdh

Brittanirdh

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 15, 2016
TN
That is a beautiful fish! How big is he/she now? And how on earth do you sex these guys? :)
Thank you! It's about 4.5 inches now. I'm not sure how to sex other than venting? And, I'm not sure how to properly vent it. I've tried to read about other ways, but there is very conflicting info out there on sexing these guys since they don't have the same markings as a normal Jack Dempsey. If you find a reliable way, let me know!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store