27 Pictus catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks all for feedback. I too always wanted to play with a large... clowder, clutter, or glaring (thanks kno4te kno4te ) of them and this is my first time.

I have 4 in my ray tank. They are 3.5-4" long and don't school. Each one has its own territory and they don't like to share.
Hmm, interesting... There simply may not be enough of them - the hierarchical domination is not diluted sufficiently for them to keep in school or the gender ratio is not conducive.

Colombian or Peruvian, as asked above, is another good question, although I didn't know that the former get along worse than the latter. Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 tell us more please, where does this observation come from and how often / how many times / with how many keepers is it observed? Does it have a predictive power?

Is your tank heavily planted / furnished? I can't imagine so with rays, they need space on the bottom.

Reactions: kno4te

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks all for feedback. I too always wanted to play with a large... clowder, clutter, or glaring (thanks kno4te kno4te ) of them and this is my first time.
It's a personal observation that I've noticed in hundreds of tanks,over quite a few years,I'm not convicted McDermott entirely that the regular pictus and Columbia s are the same species even,however pictus when placed in large tanks with lots of room and stocked in groups of 14 or more have always schooled in any tank I have seen it done.

Hmm, interesting... There simply may not be enough of them - the hierarchical domination is not diluted sufficiently for them to keep in school or the gender ratio is not conducive.

Colombian or Peruvian, as asked above, is another good question, although I didn't know that the former get along worse than the latter. Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 tell us more please, where does this observation come from and how often / how many times / with how many keepers is it observed? Does it have a predictive power?

Is your tank heavily planted / furnished? I can't imagine so with rays, they need space on the bottom.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
When I had my group of 9 in a 75gallon with driftwood and caves. They were always swimming around in a school. Probably cause I kept them with my pair of jags and the cats probably felt intimated.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Jason, you buried your interesting and useful info, so I had to pull it out.

Deadliestviper7 says:

"It's a personal observation that I've noticed in hundreds of tanks,over quite a few years,I'm not convicted McDermott entirely that the regular pictus and Columbia s are the same species even,however pictus when placed in large tanks with lots of room and stocked in groups of 14 or more have always schooled in any tank I have seen it done."

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Nice group, gotta love the old staple's!-)

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Jason, you buried your interesting and useful info, so I had to pull it out.

Deadliestviper7 says:

"It's a personal observation that I've noticed in hundreds of tanks,over quite a few years,I'm not convicted McDermott entirely that the regular pictus and Columbia s are the same species even,however pictus when placed in large tanks with lots of room and stocked in groups of 14 or more have always schooled in any tank I have seen it done."
maybe i need to pick up a dozen more

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska

i have 8 in my 450. they schooled tightly in the fairly bare 90 QT but immediately split up and staked territories in the big tank which has lots of cover

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store