Made a huge change this weekend

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
So for around 6 years now I have had a stable mbuna community in my 4' 110gal. No aggression issues and no real changes to it for years. Well a month or so ago that all changed when the dominant fish of the tank died. Since then it has been a constant chore of healing up wounded fish or segregating bullies. After losing a fish a week for two weeks in a row (both of which were older original fish I had from day 1) I had enough. I traded them all off to my brother over the weekend for a young albino O. I know that it was probably dumb on my part but I had to do something to get my mind off the constant chaos in my aquarium. So far I have zero regrets with the change as of yet. You guys ever get just fed up with a certain setup you have?

Here's a pic of the replacement wet pet
image.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So for around 6 years now I have had a stable mbuna community in my 4' 110gal. No aggression issues and no real changes to it for years. Well a month or so ago that all changed when the dominant fish of the tank died. Since then it has been a constant chore of healing up wounded fish or segregating bullies. After losing a fish a week for two weeks in a row (both of which were older original fish I had from day 1) I had enough. I traded them all off to my brother over the weekend for a young albino O. I know that it was probably dumb on my part but I had to do something to get my mind off the constant chaos in my aquarium. So far I have zero regrets with the change as of yet. You guys ever get just fed up with a certain setup you have?

Here's a pic of the replacement wet pet
View attachment 1224004

Not dumb at all you just had enough I probably would have done the same.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
I too can't bare to watch my tank knowing there is aggressive fish battling it out. This is why I keep a single male green terror now with catfish
It is nice to know your fish are content. I now have three solo cichlids if I'm counting the O. ( he's not solo by any means) but not in a group of cichlids who will battle it out all the time

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
While I liked the color my African tank had I hated having to deal with the aggression. Constantly swapping fish in and out. It was such a pain.
It get much better with my central/South American community. That was equally as annoying.
I'm very content not dealing with cichlid community tanks.
Nice little O btw.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I got bored of my Africans a while back also and I too traded most of them in and gave my brother my breeding group of dragon bloods. Now I have a nice peaceful community tank with my Geophagus as my center piece. Only aggression is between the loaches.

Reactions: mattison187

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
The longer I keep fish the more I want to set up a 100+ gallon for some neons and Cory cats lol.
I find myself thinking the same thoughts lately, little fish in a big tank is really aesthetically pleasing. When I first bought my 75 gallon I only had three Danio's in it, with some nice aquascaping, it looked incredible.

Reactions: mattison187
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store