Should I add to my tank?

Brooke Owens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Okay so, I have a 55 gal tank with a baby oscar and a baby pleco keep in mind they are very small right now. The tank still looks really empty, even though I know the fish will outgrow it. My question is how fast do these fish grow? Will it be a couple of years or more like a couple of months? Upgrading is an option but not within the next year or so. Would you advise me to get a tank mate like silver dollars or a convict cichlid or simply live with an empty tank and enjoy these fish as they grow? Another thing if you think adding fish is an option, how do you think the oscar will handle the new tankmate(s)?

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Oscars grow extremely fast, about an inch per month, so you will need to upgrade sometime soon this year. They are very messy fish with a large bioload. On top of that, if the pleco is a common, they are also very large growing messy fish. If I were you I'd keep an eye out now for a larger tank. Do not add anymore fish. The Oscar will be big before you know it.

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Oscars grow faaast if fed well (but not too well). I wouldn't be surprised if they could be somewhat close to full size within a year. It can be pretty crazy to how fast the little gluttons can grow. Oscars and plecos create more waste than most fish. Oscars also are sensitive to poor water conditions. Sooo, keeping this in mind, I really don't think you should add anything else to that tank. Sit back and watch that tank get busted.

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada

Oscars grow extremely fast, about an inch per month, so you will need to upgrade sometime soon this year. They are very messy fish with a large bioload. On top of that, if the pleco is a common, they are also very large growing messy fish. If I were you I'd keep an eye out now for a larger tank. Do not add anymore fish. The Oscar will be big before you know it.
Haha took the words out of my mouth.

Brooke Owens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017

Thanks for replying, I don't think I'll be adding any fish. I really love my oscar but was thinking a tankmate would help him come out of his shell. I'll just enjoy him!

Brooke Owens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Oscars grow faaast if fed well (but not too well). I wouldn't be surprised if they could be somewhat close to full size within a year. It can be pretty crazy to how fast the little gluttons can grow. Oscars and plecos create more waste than most fish. Oscars also are sensitive to poor water conditions. Sooo, keeping this in mind, I really don't think you should add anything else to that tank. Sit back and watch that tank get busted.
Haha love this reply! Yes, I'll just enjoy them. They come to life more and more everyday.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
I might return the pleco, he's just a blessing because he has really brought the oscar to life.
An oscar will be too much for the 55 one day on its own. The real worry over time will be keeping the nitrates down as he gets bigger. If you mess up he'll be a goner. I remember raising a few in a 75 when i was younger. As they got bigger I had to do daily WC's to keep the nitrates down before I sold one and moved the other one to a larger tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store