Vulture cat 6-pack, 14"-20", 2 year old, in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I bought 6 vultures from snookn21 in Jun-Jul 2015 at very skinny 4". They are a lot of fun, quirky, inquisitive, active, non-hiding, and apart from a few exceptions have not proven so far their fearsome reputation IME. (See this thread for more on our 6-pack: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ultures-and-5-black-ears.675034/#post-7584959 )

One was exceptionally thin, borderline emaciated and snookn gave it to me for free but they all proved very easy to feed and care for. They have grown to about 14"-20" today, a couple 20", a couple 17", and a couple 14", and have been in one of our 4500 gal for about a year now with a hundred of other tank mates. They like keeping together most of the time, sitting on the bottom and facing the strongest current, then once in a while they'd do their laps and settle down in their spot again. It is not uncommon for one or a few to sit separately and in a different spot with weak current, mostly the biggest ones do that.

When they were young and in a 240 gal, they would go into a wildest, highly entertaining feeding frenzy when the food hit the water, twisting and turning their bodies in an unbelievable Olympic gymnastics fashion, and flying around like Brownian motion rockets and stopping on a dime, trying hard to get each piece and last crumbs as quickly as possible and swallow as quickly as possible, pellets or cut up baitfish. Nowadays, they feed with dignity. Somewhere between 8" and 12" the frenzies stopped, perhaps right around their rehoming into the 4500 gal. So I don't really know unfortunately if they grew out of it or if it was the larger and different tank.

They don't beg and don't seem to care where their food comes from. No keeper interaction have I noted in 4500 gal.

Here is their updated video and some photos / videos from when they were younger:

Here they are early on, ~1 month after arrival, in Aug 2015, ~5", bad video but short

A photo from July 2015, got mass, not much length yet:

Vulture pack.JPG

aseldon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
Those are amazing fish! Is that an extremely obese eclipse/sun catfish in the video?? Any chance of getting more info on those guys?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you, guys!

Those are amazing fish! Is that an extremely obese eclipse/sun catfish in the video?? Any chance of getting more info on those guys?
Yes, the greedy sun cats they are. Their video is in the queue, hope to get to it within 1-2 weeks. They are the only fish in the whole tank that overeat like that. All eight of them, I think. I'm tempted to remove them but they have always proved to be rather miserable in my 240 gal. So I have not had the heart to do it, yet I am helpless to control their food uptake.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Those are some very nice vulture cats. Do you feel as if they are all full grown or do any/all of them appear to still be growing?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They are surely growing, it's just there is a notable distribution in the growth rate among the six and overall the growth slowed down a lot since a year ago. The two biggest are 18" very roughly currently. Could be more but I'd rather err on the small side.

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store