Just for you, Koltsixx...

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My Trachycorystes trachycorystes quartet. About 9"-12". Two are getting intimate (?). IDK what this means. This is not fighting, no damage to either snout whatsoever. The ripped fins are however due to a recent fight over a prime hiding hole. I pulled it out since, having had enough of that bickering and crankiness over the last 6 months. Now everyone's got one concrete block against the glass to him/herself and that way I can see them all too all the time:

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Like the locking lips!

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
koltsixx koltsixx
Thanks for the Tag UnstoppableJayD UnstoppableJayD I appreciate you bringing my attention to the thread.

I'm sorry I totally missed this, been too self absorbed with my own thread; sorry Viktor. Man are they beauties! Mine are white bellies. I've wanted an all black Trachy for a long time, totally jealous. And they're beefy buggers very nice job keeping them plump. By the way I want to ask are they aggressive? Like described on planetcatfish? Mine are peaceful but I didn't know if it was because my Trachy are white bellied and probably a regional variant that may not be as aggressive as the all black Trachy. Like how piranhas can differ in terms of aggression depending on region and season.

As for it being breeding behavior it might be. In my observation with my Trahcys the male laid parallel to the female grasped her by the side of the mouth and then they rolled upside down and it looked like the male attempted to insert his genital papilla. I imagine they internal fertilize like oncinus and some others in it's family, hence the papilla being inserted into the female. Genital papilla along with dorsal and fin size are the best indicators of sex of Trachys that I know of. My Males dorsal and other fin spines are considerably longer and thicker then his female counterpart. Viktor have you been able to see a genital papilla on any of yours? It's pretty easy to see with a fish this size if it is present. It would be nice if you managed to spawn them as I'd love to be one of the first recipients of captive bred Trachys as I'm sure you'd send me some. lol

Again I can't see why there isn't more interest in this fish. Gulpers get a lot of attention and IMO these guys are at least as interesting and striking in appearance.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks, Kolt. No expectations, no worries. Anything for your pleasure :D

And thanks to Raymond Chan for these guys. Always a pleasure to deal with Ray.

They like their Zeigler Bros pellets and take marine baitfish once in a while. They are plum, true. I almost never see them swim around and when the feed is in the water, far not all come out every time, usually 1-2. I hope they get their cardio in at night.

I've not kept many tank mates with them in their 240 gal but four green wolfish and an occasional passer-by (right now a rescued albino pacu). I've never seen them be aggressive to any tankmate but only to bicker over the hidey-holes between themselves. As stated, I've had enough of that. They still manage to bicker a bit over the four identical landscaping retaining wall blocks I've put in for them but I hope it'll subside. It's already lots more peaceful within the quartet.

While your words are precious, they'd be enhanced with your once-in-a-lifetime photo. I know you don't wanna be intrusive or boastful but I differ on that, I'd guess. I am sure some must dislike me for posting my pictures in their threads as if I'm stealing from their thunder but if I think it'd be helpful to the OP and the audience, I do post... exercising that more or less questionable judgment of mine... Is all.

My trachies are more chaste than yours. Yours are going for the 4th base in the open. Mine are on the 1st behind rocks :D I appreciate your input though that this may be a part of courtship. I thought that could have been merely coincidental :)

I had no idea that jaguars are internal inseminators. No, I've not tried to look up my trachies' pants yet :) Don't hold your breath, haha... better ask Ray to bring in some for yah. Thanks for the tips though! I'll try to see if I can spot gender differences now.

... Again I can't see why there isn't more interest in this fish. Gulpers get a lot of attention and IMO these guys are at least as interesting and striking in appearance.
Gulpers have better agents. But seriously, these are all specialty items, acquired taste if you will... neither gulpers nor trachies will ever be mainstream even within the MFK. They are for wood catfish geeks.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
Thanks, Kolt. No expectations, no worries. Anything for your pleasure :D

And thanks to Raymond Chan for these guys. Always a pleasure to deal with Ray.

They like their Zeigler Bros pellets and take marine baitfish once in a while. They are plum, true. I almost never see them swim around and when the feed is in the water, far not all come out every time, usually 1-2. I hope they get their cardio in at night.

I've not kept many tank mates with them in their 240 gal but four green wolfish and an occasional passer-by (right now a rescued albino pacu). I've never seen them be aggressive to any tankmate but only to bicker over the hidey-holes between themselves. As stated, I've had enough of that. They still manage to bicker a bit over the four identical landscaping retaining wall blocks I've put in for them but I hope it'll subside. It's already lots more peaceful within the quartet.

While your words are precious, they'd be enhanced with your once-in-a-lifetime photo. I know you don't wanna be intrusive or boastful but I differ on that, I'd guess. I am sure some must dislike me for posting my pictures in their threads as if I'm stealing from their thunder but if I think it'd be helpful to the OP and the audience, I do post... exercising that more or less questionable judgment of mine... Is all.

My trachies are more chaste than yours. Yours are going for the 4th base in the open. Mine are on the 1st behind rocks :D I appreciate your input though that this may be a part of courtship. I thought that could have been merely coincidental :)

I had no idea that jaguars are internal inseminators. No, I've not tried to look up my trachies' pants yet :) Don't hold your breath, haha... better ask Ray to bring in some for yah. Thanks for the tips though! I'll try to see if I can spot gender differences now.

Gulpers have better agents. But seriously, these are all specialty items, acquired taste if you will... neither gulpers nor trachies will ever be mainstream even within the MFK. They are for wood catfish geeks.
Lol, No thank you Viktor. I really do appreciate the share of your pics and experiences with these guys.

I've got to find out more about Raymond and his Amazin Fish. Right? Don't know his site? Where to view his stock or stock list? Or how to contact him? Could you share those details with me Viktor? I'd really appreciate it.

Mine eat everything. Sinking pellets, slow sinking pellets, floating pellets if any brand. Kens Carnivore Drops, shrimp the list goes on and on. Mine also don't swim except at night or when food hits the water. Then they traverse all levels of the water in a frenzy of quick feverish motions. Turning abruptly if they feel food falling on them in the direction of said food. There as I've mentioned in other threads though times when they refuse to leave their hides for months. Not sure what the reason is for this. Luckily it doesn't happen often with such incidences going years before reoccurring.

So it's not just mine, in general from what I've heard from the few keepers on here they're not aggressive. So planetcatfish profile is a little misleading IMO. The major cause for concern when comming them coming from their boisterous eating habits, large mouth and predatory nature.

Lol, Trust me like you I have how do you say "no shame to my game". And have many times posted my own pics to someone else's thread. So if you're a thunder taker you're not alone. lol. As for that once in a lifetime pic I wish it was better quality and had been fortuitous enough that I netted an actual spawning but here it is
IMG_3949#3.JPG

So you think yours are more chaste then mine huh? Well remember it took them years to get frisky for me while yours may be gearing up for you already. So they may round the bases sooner then you think. ;)

I'm pretty sure that's what i read about them. I have to look it up so I can site the source for you. I believe it was even mentioned that females can hold sperm thereby influencing actual fertilization, carrying eggs for months before allowing fertilization. Then again maybe I'm confusing them with another fish. Going to have to confirm and get back at you. As for looking up their pants your already spying on their intimate activities so your not totally clean in that respect.lol Besides the Genital Papilla should be easily seen without need for close inspection. I can tell my male from my female at a glance. And IMO it's just as easy to see it as it is to see their dorsal and fin differences.

I know to well that these guys will never be mainstream even on MFK, it just seems a shame. They have IMO so many of the characteristics that attracts Monster Fish Keepers to Monster Fish Keeping.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That's the photo! Any professional animal photographer would envy.

KS: I've got to find out more about Raymond and his Amazin Fish. Right? Don't know his site? Where to view his stock or stock list? Or how to contact him?

TBTB: Ray is good on the phone. Listed on his website http://raycjk.wix.com/ray-amazing-fish The site appears almost a stub however, he does not edit it regularly. He publishes stock and prices only on FB timely and reliably, AFAIK. Not being myself on facebook, I request his offering list by email a few times a year. I really wish I could see what he has more often.

KS: Mine eat everything. Sinking pellets, slow sinking pellets, floating pellets if any brand. Kens Carnivore Drops, shrimp the list goes on and on. Mine also don't swim except at night or when food hits the water. Then they traverse all levels of the water in a frenzy of quick feverish motions. Turning abruptly if they feel food falling on them in the direction of said food.

TBTB: That'd be so nice to see with mine.

KS: There as I've mentioned in other threads though times when they refuse to leave their hides for months. Not sure what the reason is for this. Luckily it doesn't happen often with such incidences going years before reoccurring.

TBTB: So appreciate the warning and the knowledge brought about by your long-suffering.

KS: So it's not just mine, in general from what I've heard from the few keepers on here they're not aggressive. So planetcatfish profile is a little misleading IMO. The major cause for concern when comming them coming from their boisterous eating habits, large mouth and predatory nature.

TBTB: I don't think the PCF language is that dire but it could benefit from expansion and elaboration https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=965 . Jools is usually open to these things with people he trusts or so I perceive. ;)

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
Trying to make our convo easier to follow? lol I'll try to do the same.
That's the photo! Any professional animal photographer would envy.
Thanks Viktor! I really appreciate the compliment. I still wish the pic was better though.

Ray is good on the phone. Listed on his website http://raycjk.wix.com/ray-amazing-fish The site appears almost a stub however, he does not edit it regularly. He publishes stock and prices only on FB timely and reliably, AFAIK. Not being myself on facebook, I request his offering list by email a few times a year. I really wish I could see what he has more often.
I'm on FB so I'll look for him on there. Can I get his email though just in case and verify his number with you? I checked his site and I am almost positive I've tried using the email listed on the site you linked multiple times but never got a response. Is it amazingingfish247@gmail.com.

That'd be so nice to see with mine.
I wonder if it's a behavioral difference between regional variants, like I mentioned before. Similar to differences in certain piranha species behavior depending on the region they're found in. Well since Ray has 7 inch Trachys listed, if they're the all black regional color variant like you have I may be able to tell for myself as I plan to purchase one or two from him if I can.

So appreciate the warning and the knowledge brought about by your long-suffering.
Lol, no problem. Glad I may have been able to save you a few grey hairs with my own.

I don't think the PCF language is that dire but it could benefit from expansion and elaboration https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=965 . Jools is usually open to these things with people he trusts or so I perceive. ;)
Maybe I just interpreted it poorly putting my own spin on it or maybe I was confusing it with the description for wyckii.

By the way I didn't find the info. to site about Oncinus but Marc Stabel mentions about Auchenipteridae and internal fertilization in his article on Nodosus. Here's the link https://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=375
the quote is as follows "Being a true auchenipterid, sexing is rather easy: adult males have a genital papilla for internal fertilization"

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter maybe set up some candles and wine, dim the lights and play some smooth tunes ;)

I love these trachys

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
KS: Trying to make our convo easier to follow? lol I'll try to do the same.
TBTB: I do it in my fast and dirty way. You do it in high fashion. :)

KS: Thanks Viktor! I really appreciate the compliment. I still wish the pic was better though.
TBTB: Well, if you take aim at a Nobel prize in photography...

KS: I'm on FB so I'll look for him on there. Can I get his email though just in case and verify his number with you? I checked his site and I am almost positive I've tried using the email listed on the site you linked multiple times but never got a response. Is it amazingingfish247@gmail.com.
TBTB: You got too many "ing"s. :) So does the website. I think the website is messed up a bit.
Raymond Chan
amazingfish247@gmail.com
(909) 489-8711

KS: I wonder if it's a behavioral difference between regional variants, like I mentioned before.
TBTB: If I don't kill them with my stupidities and God is willing, we shall see.

KS: Maybe I just interpreted it poorly putting my own spin on it or maybe I was confusing it with the description for wyckii.
TBTB: I am suggesting you send Jools proposed wordage you'd like to see there.

KS: By the way I didn't find the info. to site about Oncinus but Marc Stabel mentions about Auchenipteridae and internal fertilization in his article on Nodosus. Here's the link https://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=375
the quote is as follows "Being a true auchenipterid, sexing is rather easy: adult males have a genital papilla for internal fertilization"
TBTB: Thumbs up!

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter maybe set up some candles and wine, dim the lights and play some smooth tunes ;)
I'd rather not interfere with the remnants of "nature", may it be in its least natural place, aka glass box. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store