How do you guys actually do water changes exactly?

ProAquarist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
I have had all sorts of freshwater for a long time. I currently do very large weekly water changes, usually 80-90% depending on the tank. I drain, add Prime or Safe, and fill directly to the tank. I haven't had any issues with this method, even with stuff like discus. I get the temp pretty close, but I know it's not always perfect, but I don't have issues.

One of the biggest things holding me back from stingrays is that I can't imagine doing water changes like this on them. I think I would have to get a huge container to prep the water in so that it is heated and aerated so that all the chemistry is stabilized, any necessary off-gassing has occurred, etc. Am I correct in my apprehensiveness, or are any of you guys doing water changes on rays like I currently do them on my other freshwater tanks?

ProAquarist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
So drain, then very slowly refill with unheated water?

Jimr

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
Lyme Ct.
I have had all sorts of freshwater for a long time. I currently do very large weekly water changes, usually 80-90% depending on the tank. I drain, add Prime or Safe, and fill directly to the tank. I haven't had any issues with this method, even with stuff like discus. I get the temp pretty close, but I know it's not always perfect, but I don't have issues.

One of the biggest things holding me back from stingrays is that I can't imagine doing water changes like this on them. I think I would have to get a huge container to prep the water in so that it is heated and aerated so that all the chemistry is stabilized, any necessary off-gassing has occurred, etc. Am I correct in my apprehensiveness, or are any of you guys doing water changes on rays like I currently do them on my other freshwater tanks?
I do the same as you - except maybe 60-70% water changes a week. Been doing that over 10 years no problems.

Train

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Ohio
iv been doing 60% to 70% weekly water changes with my rays for 3 years no problems and adding prime but everybody has there own method

Reactions: Black Manta
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store