How do you guys actually do water changes exactly?

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
For those who use drip systems; I have the local city water and I'm sure it has chlorine and such in the water. What do you do to get rid of it before it enters your tank?
This is very important and worth noting that Chloramine is far harder to remove and far more deadly.

I use a HMA (Heavy metal axe) which is a 3 stage filter a bit like RO membranes but without waste water, the last stage is Chloramine removal and relies on high pressure but low flow so you need full bore in and then throttle back on the way out - I use a drip adapter than they supplied (they being devotedly discus in the UK)

In the UK the water companies often add one off doses of high level chlorine and chloramine when they have bacterial blooms or large water run off pollution so you need to plan for the worst.

Well water in USA has been know to have a source of Ammonia according to posts on here.

Reactions: Vandyfan13

Vandyfan13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2016
Tennessee
This is very important and worth noting that Chloramine is far harder to remove and far more deadly.

I use a HMA (Heavy metal axe) which is a 3 stage filter a bit like RO membranes but without waste water, the last stage is Chloramine removal and relies on high pressure but low flow so you need full bore in and then throttle back on the way out - I use a drip adapter than they supplied (they being devotedly discus in the UK)

In the UK the water companies often add one off doses of high level chlorine and chloramine when they have bacterial blooms or large water run off pollution so you need to plan for the worst.

Well water in USA has been know to have a source of Ammonia according to posts on here.
You sir are quite a smart man and I appreciate it. One more question. For the drain would you attach it to the sump or the tank and if you don't have a floor drain just put the hose in the washing machine drain?

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Thanks,

I used a floor drain from the top of the sump but that was as I was building the extension at the time (in hindsight I would have fitted a bigger bore pipe, as big as possible)

I know some have plumbed from tank but you want to make sure the fresh water is mixing well and not just flowing straight out of the drain if you use the tank, the benefit to you if you use the washing machine drain is that the tank would give a high "head" to make it flow out, just make sure there is zero chance of a block and the washing machine pumping in to the tank.

My friend had his tank backing on to an outside wall so just drilled out the wall and let it flow out and water his plants.

Reactions: Vandyfan13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store