DIY Algae scrubber

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
For the seachem denitrate? It's preferred 30-50gph. Slow flow for denitrification.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Lmao yeah about 5 min ago. Someone just posted in it
I haven't made one yet, so I can't do pics atm.

It's quite simple. You take a bucket, drill one 5mm hole on the top, and one on the side, as close as you can get it to the bottom. The filter should flow bottom to top, and be powered by a pump less than 6gph, ideally the TOM aqua lift pump. After that, all that needs to be done is fill it with media and turn it on.

The filter would remove nitrates from about 580-590 gallons of water per week, so it should be able to handle a 300 gal tank. The bacteria in the filter converts nitrate to nitrogen, which gasses out of the system once it reaches the aquarium, or sump. The bacteria is anaerobic, meaning they thrive in low oxygen environments. This is the reason why the pump needs to have a low flow rate.
where does the bucket go (physically) ?
For the seachem denitrate? It's preferred 30-50gph. Slow flow for denitrification.
Does the denitrate need to be replaced ?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If the nitrates start to rise then needs to be replaced as it's expected to be exhausted.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
If the nitrates start to rise then needs to be replaced as it's expected to be exhausted.
So what do we feel woukd be more effective joeys algae scrubber or a denitrator set up ?

I definitly dont want to have to run lights 24x7 but not to fond of having to replace media either

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
So what do we feel woukd be more effective joeys algae scrubber or a denitrator set up ?

I definitly dont want to have to run lights 24x7 but not to fond of having to replace media either
Probably the algae scrubber. If you get the right LED's it shouldn't use up too much energy.

Keep in mind that nitrates are not the only reason to do water changes. Other reasons like TDS, remineralization and reoxygenation also make water changes necessary. If you remove the nitrates, it still won't help the other parameters, although oxygenation can be achieved through surface agitation and air stones.

I think keeping up with regular water changes is best, although the addition of a nitrate reducer certainly would still help.

Reactions: DN328

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

Denitrate is a bacteria. It doesn't need to be replaced.

The bucket should be treated like a canister filter, so it should be outside of the tank.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Probably the algae scrubber. If you get the right LED's it shouldn't use up too much energy.

Keep in mind that nitrates are not the only reason to do water changes. Other reasons like TDS, remineralization and reoxygenation also make water changes necessary. If you remove the nitrates, it still won't help the other parameters, although oxygenation can be achieved through surface agitation and air stones.

I think keeping up with regular water changes is best, although the addition of a nitrate reducer certainly would still help.
Lol i totally agree bud but still would be nice to keep the fish in little to no nitrates. Or at best just reduced.

The bucket should be treated like a canister filter, so it should be outside of the tank.
This could work as there is plenty of room behind my sump. When you get around to building it please tag me to the thread

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

Are we talking about the same thing? I thought we were talking about seachem denirate. If so it's a porous material like their matrix.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I haven't made one yet, so I can't do pics atm.

It's quite simple. You take a bucket, drill one 5mm hole on the top, and one on the side, as close as you can get it to the bottom. The filter should flow bottom to top, and be powered by a pump less than 6gph, ideally the TOM aqua lift pump. After that, all that needs to be done is fill it with media and turn it on.

The filter would remove nitrates from about 580-590 gallons of water per week, so it should be able to handle a 300 gal tank. The bacteria in the filter converts nitrate to nitrogen, which gasses out of the system once it reaches the aquarium, or sump. The bacteria is anaerobic, meaning they thrive in low oxygen environments. This is the reason why the pump needs to have a low flow rate.
Do you have any lonks on the set up as i woukd like to read more about it. Seems like both the algae scrubber and this filter would be easy enough to make

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store