Starter Chiclid Tank

PabloGiovanni

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Phoenix
Hey Guys,
Pablo here so i just wanted to know a few things. First off I am a beginner Cichlid tank owner African/South American. I have a 60 gallon canvas tank w/AquaTop Canister Filter CF-400 UV, Fluval Q2 Air Pump, Split Fold Glass Top w/LED Lighting. Since I know absolutely nothing about Cichlids and this is my first Cichlid tank I thought I would share my aquarium with you guys and get some feedback and possible advice on maintaining a healthy and quality living for my pets. More about the community of fish I house:
4 Black Convicts (2 male adults 1 teen male 1 teen female (spawning)
3 Jack Dempsey (1 male adult 2 male teens)
2 Jewels (1 teen male 1 teen female)
4 Auratus ( all male preteen)
1 Peacock (male teen)
2 Peacock Eel (male)
1 Bala Shark (preteen)
Really looking for suggestions and open to all ideas on how to better or upgrade healthy enviornment for my pets. They all seem to get along besides the other 2 Bolivian Rams I had that got devoured by my big dempsey other than that I had 4 Red Parrots to die on me and 1 assorted to get die off honestly I think they were stressed and over ran. Pls let me know what yu guys think about this tank and ideas on improvement.

WP_20170215_09_37_23_Rich.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That tank is very fully stocked, You will need to cut down on a lot of that as they grow

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard ☺ I suggest not adding anymore fish and keep your eyes on the Auratus because they can be very aggressive. Personally I have learned to do research prior it will save you money and headaches.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
What are the dimensions of your 60G tank?

PabloGiovanni

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Phoenix
Welcome aboard ☺ I suggest not adding anymore fish and keep your eyes on the Auratus because they can be very aggressive. Personally I have learned to do research prior it will save you money and headaches.
Thanks so much, I have been watching them over the course of 6 weeks they are high tempered. They are very aggressive towards smaller fish but they are my smallest in the tank and dominate my big boys.

PabloGiovanni

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Phoenix
That tank is very fully stocked, You will need to cut down on a lot of that as they grow
Thanks for the response, but I will do I'm actually gonna rehome about 6 of them once they grow a couple inches. Overall they are great together but my cleaning is the worst they are messy.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Jewels can be extremely aggressive as well.

OP you said you were going to get rid of some, which ones? A 60 might seem huge at first but the more you get into cichlids the more you'll realize just how tiny it is.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hello Pablo, welcome to MFK!
As Hendre said, the main problem you are going to have is that as the fish grow, the tank is going to be very cramped. The 65 is a decent size to work with but you've got a pretty heavy stock there. It will work for now while they are small, but I would re-home most of the fish sooner rather than later. The auratus can get very nasty, and having 4 males in there spells trouble. The Jack dempseys can get large (males up to a foot long) and I wouldn't keep more than 1 of them in this size tank. If you do keep a jack, your going to want to only have a few other (smaller) fish in there, as a 8-12" fish can produce a lot of waste.

PabloGiovanni

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Phoenix
The Jewels can be extremely aggressive as well.

OP you said you were going to get rid of some, which ones? A 60 might seem huge at first but the more you get into cichlids the more you'll realize just how tiny it is.
good to know I purchased my jewels on two separate occasions they turned out to be the quiet stalkers they are not so active but when provoked will definitely dominate but maybe my convicts because my teenagers are spawning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store