Help Me Poly Stock

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Hey all,

The addiction has hit me, as soon as I had my 4 baby sens in the bag walking to the checkout line I instantly got the appeal of polys :) I'm also sick to death of the aggression with cichlids, not done with cichlids as I'll be keeping the smaller more peaceful ones but I'm pretty much done with aggressive cichlids. This is kind of hypocritical because of what I want to try lol but more in a minute.

My future plan is to get a 180, maybe bigger? And stock it with my 8" Argentea, who so far has been a totally uncharacteristically good citizen, and polys. If the Argentea takes a turn for the worse I will be on top of it and I will get him out of there.

I'm actually pretty open to suggestions stock wise, the only must is an Ornate- I love them. I'm also growing really fond of Teug's. You guys are the experts, let me know what you would do to start maybe?

Thanks

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Congrats on your first polys! a 180 or bigger will be able to house a lot of them, so you'll have some freedom here. Sens are always great to start with - they're really active, interactive, peaceful. The poly keepers have sorta dubbed them the "gateway poly" lol.

Ornates are awesome too, but just as a warning they have the reputation as the most aggressive of the upper jaw species, though not every one is a problem, so don't be afraid to grab one

Teug's are nice too. Mine was really timid when housed with only 2 others, but is now one of 9 and is relatively fearless. They're unique looking and I'd recommend them. They are kinda seasonal for some reason, and they're in season now. So if you're gonna get one, you should do so soon.

Other than these, I love Delhezi, Lapradei, Mokelembembe, Endlicheri. Delhezi are the most active in my experience, probably tied with senegalus. Lapradei are a lower jaw species and are my favorite looking of the bunch. Moke's are very unique and fairly reclusive, but are so beautiful it's worth getting one even though you don't see them as often. Endlicheri can be aggressive, but mine is a big softy with a ton of personality. All in all you really can't go wrong, they're all amazing fish, which is why they're so addictive - I got my first sen in june and now have 11 lol.

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites. Welcome to the poly section! Definitely the most helpful and friendly part of this forum. Keep us updated!

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Thanks man seems like I do have some freedom with stocking, another thing I love about polys. Hey I never noticed you're from Warwick, I live about an hour north-west of Albany.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Technically Gloversville but I'm right by the southern part of Lake Sacandaga. The lake is my backyard.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Some people like UJ cause they are not that aggressive and they dont grow to big, but once you owe a LJ, some people end up changing their mind cause LJ grows bigger, really up to a person.

If you like bought i would suggest start growing the UJ first like, moke, retro, delhezi, beuttikoferri, palmas and polli,
Big boys of UJ are ornate, teug and weeksii.
These three can grow same size as a LJ.
Once the UJ are about 6" then you can look at LJ if your looking at some CB once, they usually being sold at 1"-3" but they grow fast.
LJ tou looking at endlicheri, lapradei, congi, ansorgii and PBB.
All the polys can live in a 180g.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Can't assist since you have a larger tank than I'm planning on, but I'll be following along anyways. Right now I'm planning on at least one sen, a del, and a polli in a 125.
Ooh thanks for reminding me about polli's. I really like the one magpie magpie has, beautiful fish. I'm lucky my girlfriend is actually the one that got me into this hobby in the first place :)

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Ooh thanks for reminding me about polli's. I really like the one magpie magpie has, beautiful fish. I'm lucky my girlfriend is actually the one that got me into this hobby in the first place :)
Yep same here! I like to remind my wife she was the one that suggested years back we get a 10 gallon tank. Of course, the researcher that I am, I quickly realized we weren't going to be able to put much in so I went with a 36, then a 40, and now i'm at 75, 55 and 40 with plans on a 125+ :) She sometimes regrets ever mentioning a fish tank

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Some people like UJ cause they are not that aggressive and they dont grow to big, but once you owe a LJ, some people end up changing their mind cause LJ grows bigger, really up to a person.

If you like bought i would suggest start growing the UJ first like, moke, retro, delhezi, beuttikoferri, palmas and polli,
Big boys of UJ are ornate, teug and weeksii.
These three can grow same size as a LJ.
Once the UJ are about 6" then you can look at LJ if your looking at some CB once, they usually being sold at 1"-3" but they grow fast.
LJ tou looking at endlicheri, lapradei, congi, ansorgii and PBB.
All the polys can live in a 180g.
Okay, I'm interested in both UJ and LJ so I'll start with the UJ's first. Thank you!

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store