New Asian Arowana damaged his fins

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
Super sad about it. This new little fella seems to be a bit a nervous guy and not as chill as my old Highback that I sadly had to sell due to a half broken tank. So far he or she is the new boss in my new tank. He/she is just about 7-7.5¨ big/small and even my thick fat 9¨ IT Dat is scared of my new Aro, LOL, while the Dat himself was the big boss before and was quite dominant. The new guy/girl is a 'Premium Highback' from Sing, they told me the Premium Highbacks are a bit better than "regular" Highbacks but still a little too "bad" to be Crossbacks, basically just "hybrids" of Highbacks and Crossbacks.

Now, I had a plastic box floating in the tank because I have a pair of Hystrix/Wallacei ray pups. He was just small enough to enter the box thru the holes but had trouble getting out - and when I opened the lids he got nervous and tried very hard to get out and damaged (lost) a few scales, which isnt very bad because I know they grow back, but he then later did the same **** again and this time he damaged his rear fin very hard. Now, my question is, does this heal back or will it forever be ****ed up?

Took the plastic box out of course and since then nothing else happened. He/she is eating superworms very, very well. Very aggressive eater.

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
no worries in 2-3 months it will grow back , but make sure the fin rays grow straight otherwise you can cut it until it straight

Reactions: Leo Messi

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
no worries in 2-3 months it will grow back , but make sure the fin rays grow straight otherwise you can cut it until it straight
Thanks bro. Will check it out and try to take good quality pics from near when it grows back (already started to grow back). But its hard since this little fella is always moving especially when I am in front of the tank expecting some tasty superworms.

Has anyone around here ever seen an adult 'Premium Highback' Golden Arowana? I cant find any pics and really wonder how he or she might end up looking like :) Again, Sing told me that their Premium Highbacks are crosses from Crossbacks and Highbacks.

Barriefishguy

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2017
Thanks bro. Will check it out and try to take good quality pics from near when it grows back (already started to grow back). But its hard since this little fella is always moving especially when I am in front of the tank expecting some tasty superworms.

Has anyone around here ever seen an adult 'Premium Highback' Golden Arowana? I cant find any pics and really wonder how he or she might end up looking like :) Again, Sing told me that their Premium Highbacks are crosses from Crossbacks and Highbacks.
When they call a "premium" they are referring to the fact that apparently a majority of its scales will go close to solid gold. standard RTG or HBRTG or even standard XBG will get gold on the scales but the gold covers less than half of the scale. Its really just a marketing term. Its like calling Reds different names etc: Super Red, Blood Red , Chili Red, Power Red, Violet Fusion Red. The High Back Golden is a cross between a RTG and a XBG. ill see if i can load some pics of a standard and a premium. You could end up with a premium fish on a standard tag. Example i have a Super Red and on his paper work it just says Super Red but I have some close friends that are very experienced in the Asian Arowana field and they all say that mine looks exactly like a violet fusion. The scales have a deep purple or blue base and the red is very dark red, but yet it is labeled a standard Super red.

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
When they call a "premium" they are referring to the fact that apparently a majority of its scales will go close to solid gold. standard RTG or HBRTG or even standard XBG will get gold on the scales but the gold covers less than half of the scale. Its really just a marketing term. Its like calling Reds different names etc: Super Red, Blood Red , Chili Red, Power Red, Violet Fusion Red. The High Back Golden is a cross between a RTG and a XBG. ill see if i can load some pics of a standard and a premium. You could end up with a premium fish on a standard tag. Example i have a Super Red and on his paper work it just says Super Red but I have some close friends that are very experienced in the Asian Arowana field and they all say that mine looks exactly like a violet fusion. The scales have a deep purple or blue base and the red is very dark red, but yet it is labeled a standard Super red.
Wow thanks a lot for clearing that up. I thought it probably is - as you're saying - just a little little bit a "better" Highback Golden but they told me what I wrote in my first post... weird.

I would LOVE to see some pics to compare of a "standard" Highback and a "Premium" Highback. Would be awesome.

What would you call this Highback?

Standard? He/she was about 13¨ big/small. Was my old Highback, really lovely. Would eat pellets too and was very nice to every other fish except when they entered his 'territory' which pretty much was the upper 30% of the tank.

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland

It's healing quite fast so far. Do you guys think the tail is healing well? Do I just let it grow back by itself fully or do I cut the whole tail to the same "level"? Don't really want to take him out and stress him...

Chaos32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Singapore / Malaysia
Allow me to give you a little bit of insight on the red Aro nomenclature. Sorry to the TS for the out of topic thread. Super Red or SR is the standard name used in Red Arowanas especially in its home ground of Indonesia. From the SR standard comes 2 variants - Blood Red and Chilli Red. Everything else is marketing. Violet Fusion is the trade name coined by QianHu Fish Farm of Singapore.

Reactions: DN328 and Leo Messi

Chaos32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Singapore / Malaysia

It's healing quite fast so far. Do you guys think the tail is healing well? Do I just let it grow back by itself fully or do I cut the whole tail to the same "level"? Don't really want to take him out and stress him...

The tail bones are healing but by the looks of it, not quite straight. In cases like this, it will likely be necessary to perform some "plastic surgery" at some point in time to make it look better. Better to wait for the tail to heal on its entirety before deciding on the next course of action. Taking the whole tail off now could result in a lot more work and also unnecessary stress to both you and the fish.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Yeah I think you just keep the water clean and just wait it out. treat if you see infection. Good luck! Beautiful fish. I wish we could own those where I live

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store