Flow problem, need expert advise

Lukemitchell

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Tamworth
hi
I have a 150 gallon tank and a 30 gallon sump, I have a over flow box with 3 3/4 drain pipes that lead to the mechanical chamber then through some k1 then into the heated chamber and then pumped back into the main tank with 1 jebao dcp 5000 pump with a 1'' return and running on 33 watts.

I'm have trouble with the 3 drain pipes, one takes most the flow then the other is half that and the 3rd is a trickle, I don't understand why this is I've tried everything I can think of but still the same could an expert tell me where I'm going wrong.

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
I ran overflow boxes for all the sumps at my last fish job and had similar problems. if there is even a tiny fluctuation in tube length or angle they will have different levels of flow. i fixed mine by putting ball valves in the drain lines and adjusting until they were more even. closing one off slightly forces more water to go through the others to keep the same flow rate. worked for me

Lukemitchell

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Tamworth
I ran overflow boxes for all the sumps at my last fish job and had similar problems. if there is even a tiny fluctuation in tube length or angle they will have different levels of flow. i fixed mine by putting ball valves in the drain lines and adjusting until they were more even. closing one off slightly forces more water to go through the others to keep the same flow rate. worked for me
That's what I was thinking but I was told that I little bit out won't cause anything but Ye that makes sense as one is slightly higher than the other, I'm siting by the tank now slightly moving them and I've made 2 of them faster than a dribble but one is still flowing a lot more.
Thanks for the reply pal

Reactions: Experiment397

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
No problem. It would take me weeks to get all outputs of a box close to even flow for each tank so it might take a lot of finessing. Granted I was working with a 24 tank system where all boxes had at least 2 drains and 5 different sumps to drain into

Lukemitchell

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Tamworth
No problem. It would take me weeks to get all outputs of a box close to even flow for each tank so it might take a lot of finessing. Granted I was working with a 24 tank system where all boxes had at least 2 drains and 5 different sumps to drain into
Ye il get a few ball valves and get them installed.
Thanks mate

Reactions: Experiment397

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
If it's a noise problem, then you could put ball valves on two of them and then adjust them so that those two remain at full siphon and then make the third higher to function as an emergency drain.

If you just want even flow, then I would still recommend putting a ball valve on only two and still make the third slightly higher to function as an emergency drain. If you put ball valves on all three and adjust them all so that you have even flow with all three, then you have no backup in case one gets clogged. It would be a big overflow risk.

Why are you trying to even the flow? Does it really matter?

Lukemitchell

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Tamworth
If it's a noise problem, then you could put ball valves on two of them and then adjust them so that those two remain at full siphon and then make the third higher to function as an emergency drain.

If you just want even flow, then I would still recommend putting a ball valve on only two and still make the third slightly higher to function as an emergency drain. If you put ball valves on all three and adjust them all so that you have even flow with all three, then you have no backup in case one gets clogged. It would be a big overflow risk.

Why are you trying to even the flow? Does it really matter?
Yes as the pumps are pumping quicker than the overflow can cope with when they are uneven but now I've adjusted them and now it's not draining the sump right down.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
What is at the top of the stand pipes above the tee?

Homer Siped

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2015
Isnt that basically a bean animal? I have only had experience with 1 setup like this but seem to me your pump is over powering the drains. 1 should run full siphon, other should take up the left over and 3rd is emergency drain which 90 should be turned up right. Least thats how i have mine from my understanding

IMG_0840.PNG

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I think Homer is right. When I saw the three drains in your very first two pictures Bean Animal immediately came to mind. Based on the pictures alone, it doesn't seem like the drains are not keeping up. I would think the overflow water level would be higher if that was the case?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store