what's in the QT?

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I didn't put paragaurd in the 55gal. Just did it in the QT when the fish were there.
For the 55gal: I did put some safestart in there, but not the whole bottle, I also used dechlorinator. However, I haven't used dechlorinator recently, or safestart. Just the Stability.

When doing each WC I have been using dechlorinator, should I stop?
Should I stop WCs until my parameters change?
Do I need to add anything or do anything differently?

Filter: AC110
Fish: 4 giant danios, 6 glo danios

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
thank you guys for helping!

In the past I've always kept my levels at 0, probably from too many water changes, and potentially never cycled my tanks....Even though I've read a few basic things on cycling, walking me through this process is appreciated. Will post the water parameters every few days.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
This one will go faster - you have more fish in the tank - more waste production.

You have to do dechlor at each WC. Frank was just saying that if you are going to use Safestart, wait until 24 hours after a WC so that the dechlor doesn't kill the safestart.

I'm not an expert at cycling because I've always either used established media or a ****load of plants.

I would think you'd want to hold off on WCs if you are 0/0/0. What were parameters today?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yup what mags said. I would hold off on wc's too. U could dump the safestart in....wait a few days and test. Dont do any wcs during this time. It usually skips the nitrite spike but we'll se what the test results look like

Reactions: clm08k and magpie

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Are u noticing ur water level dropping clm08k clm08k ? Got a cover on the 55g?

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
How much evaporation? I wouldn't bother. I'd personally just test, dump in the Safestart (assuming the levels aren't super high in any one area) and get this party started!

Reactions: clm08k

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Didn't you reseal the 55g? I thought you did clm08k clm08k .

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Are u noticing ur water level dropping clm08k clm08k ? Got a cover on the 55g?
I don't have a cover on it. Just the lhood lids, but they are somewhat open in the back....So I know I need to change it up. Should I get an all glass top? or a piece of acryllic? Thinking about doing this, so I can put the light @ocllatus recommended on it. Plus I know I need something to keep the polys in. Any suggestions?

yep! I did reseal it. No leaks :)

magpie magpie : just checked the levels. Everything is still at 0. Dang. Yeah right now the tank is about 2 inches low.....maybe evap is like 1 inch every week or two. I do want to get the party started though. F it, I'm dumping in the bottle lol

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store