Other Kinds of Fishes to Mix with Bichirs?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Plecos are not a good choice as they can chew the slime coat off f your Bichir.
I had that problem. If your pleco is hungry, he will first start eating the other fishes' slime coats and then, if he is hungry enough, the fish themselves. As far as I know, nothing can defend itself against a pleco. However, I saw a video on Youtube by Dan Hiteshaw (great channel), and he said this is a problem with any "algae eater" that doesn't get enough protein, even if it is "strictly vegetarian". Some sinking pellets solved the problem for me.
I don't have that issue with mine. His lazy self never moves until I feed him.
Mine seem fine with my plecos. 2 bushynose, 2 bulldogs and a clown not sure on L#s for them. Feed the bichirs after the lights have been off for an hour or so and they won't have to compete as much for food. That's what I do so my rainbowfish mob doesn't eat all their food
They apparently have well fed plecos;)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
From what I've read 2ft to 30" in rare cases in home aquaria, they're pretty quick growers first year but slow waaaaaay down after that. I really enjoy mine, now that the pearsei isn't king konging his way around the tank the gar actually hangs around the front glass when I'm around, and is always waiting for those first few nuggets of food when I drop it in so he can snap it up. Really entertaining fish, and I can't possibly oversell how compatible he is with the polys, never flips out, never nips at anyone, just chill as can be
Mhhhhhh... who gets rehomed. Lol just kidding but this is something to consider down the road.
I dont like you

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
I keep mine with 2 chocolate cichlids and a few angel fish.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store