Scomb mystery death disease?

Bryan Crownover

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2017
Wisconsin
I've been trying to research this but I can't find anything on it outside of almost decade old postings on this site. I have a Scomb that I got at 3" a month ago and he's already grown to 4-4 1/2 inches. Anyone know if anything more has been discovered about this or any rumors they heard to fight it?

20170427_114431.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Don't think there has ever been a final conclusion on it. Some public aquariums have some big scombs and do well but these are massive systems with pristine water. Likely in the end to keep them alive for years requiring to replicate Mother Nature exact as is. Maybe other members can chime in if something new has been found but I don't recall any. Speculated scombs need large space, high oxygen content in the water, live food and flow.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I've been trying to research this but I can't find anything on it outside of almost decade old postings on this site.
I found lots of posts that are within 3 or 4 years. I would not call that almost a decade.

Having said that, some animals have specific requirements that people can't replicate in aquariums.

This is very obvious in regards to breeding where many species simply won't breed in even the largest tanks, but is less obvious to people who assume fish should live and be healthy if we care for them as well as we know how.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ly-die-after-reaching-12-in-captivity.588134/

Here is a thread (less than 3 years) and you might find it useful. Unfortunately, a lot of science is funded, and many people allocate funds in ways that don't seem to regard this as a major concern, at least judging by the information available on the internet.

Maybe university departments is a source you haven't tried yet?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store