Blood parrot normal behavior and possible illness

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
hello,

I recently acquired some blood parrots about a month and a half ago. When I got them, they arrived in yellow water. Quarantined them for 3 weeks with 2 doses of paraguard. Then moved them to my 55gal. Been in there for 3 weeks now.

The one is eating, but hides all the time. Also has a black stress spot on its spine.
Other one stays in the top corner of the tank or by the heater. But I haven't seen it eat in the past 3 weeks. It's scales also look a little ragged. Concern is from the scales and the not eating. Possible scared of the other one, even though there are multiple hides in the tank.

Tank parameters: 7.6 ph, O am, 0 nitrite, 20ppm nitrates.

any suggestions or ideas as to what's going on and how to fix the problem? Are they sick? How do I find out?

I currently have other fish in my QT, and do not want to get them sick before I add them to tha 55gal.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to say. Almost looks like a swim bladder/buoyancy issue. Not sure....maybe Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 Charney Charney can help.

Reactions: clm08k

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I'm not a fan of these fish, they are too mutated for my liking and health issues are not surprising.
I believe swim bladder issues are not to uncommon with these fish.
I don't think that is the problem though.
As you mentioned the scales are protruding i suspect dropsy.If you look down on the fish from above,do all the scales look like they are standing out away from the body of the fish?If so I would treat for bacterial infections as dropsy is often a result of this.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Raised scales almost like an egg corn would be concerning. I'd trust stanzzz assessment and treat for dropsy. I has a few denisen barbs die because of it

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I hope you can figure this out, clm. These guys haven't acted totally normally for you from day one.

What the heck is an egg corn, J jaws7777 ? I thought the last time you typed it, it was a typo. A pinecone is what people say and normal people know what a pinecone is. :p

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I hope you can figure this out, clm. These guys haven't acted totally normally for you from day one.

What the heck is an egg corn, J jaws7777 ? I thought the last time you typed it, it was a typo. A pinecone is what people say and normal people know what a pinecone is. :p
Yeah pine cone....lol i really have no clue where the egg corn came from.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
This is the second time it's said that. Did you say acorn into your phone? Siri frequently messes with me. She must not be used to your accent yet. ;)

Reactions: GamerChick5567

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
This is the second time it's said that. Did you say acorn into your phone? Siri frequently messes with me. She must not be used to your accent yet. ;)
Nope im just an idiot !! Probably something i heard from one of my kids and it stuck in my brain

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Move to a qt tank as Abx will mess with ur BB. Maracyn2 should cover it. Salt the tank. Gotta check your water as poor water quality maybe the likely culprit starting everything clm08k clm08k . Prevention is key for future fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store