Blood parrot normal behavior and possible illness

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
clm08k clm08k dont get down on yourself we all go through this crap. Where did you get the parrots from ? DDDP LFS ?

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I'm not a fan of these fish, they are too mutated for my liking and health issues are not surprising.
I believe swim bladder issues are not to uncommon with these fish.
I don't think that is the problem though.
As you mentioned the scales are protruding i suspect dropsy.If you look down on the fish from above,do all the scales look like they are standing out away from the body of the fish?If so I would treat for bacterial infections as dropsy is often a result of this.
They don't have an extreme pinecone look. But the one who isn't eating, does look like its scales could be slightly raised.
I hope you can figure this out, clm. These guys haven't acted totally normally for you from day one.

What the heck is an egg corn, J jaws7777 ? I thought the last time you typed it, it was a typo. A pinecone is what people say and normal people know what a pinecone is. :p
Yo egg corn is candy corn, but egg shaped. DUH! Jk idk what egg corn is either. But maybe it's an egg that has the texture of corn? That's what I got from it. Idk made sense to me. Lol

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
clm08k clm08k dont get down on yourself we all go through this crap. Where did you get the parrots from ? DDDP LFS ?
actually from the store that lets me order. But they arrived in yellow water......so just like the plants....don't know how long they were sitting there or when they were shipped. The store said segrest was having problems with their orders, so who knows. Starting to think I can only order from WetSpot. Their polys were perfect. I had to pay like $50 shipping, but I got what I paid for. or will have to go to a store in jax or ocala(30mins-1hour away) . Just want to get all the diseases and parameter problems under control. Tired of having to start over. Feel like I'm putting a lot of work in, but no results yet. Doing it the right way is a good learning experience though.
Move to a qt tank as Abx will mess with ur BB. Maracyn2 should cover it. Salt the tank. Gotta check your water as poor water quality maybe the likely culprit starting everything clm08k clm08k . Prevention is key for future fish.
what is Abx?(antibiotics)? Is that the Maracyn 2?
also have kanaplex and metroplex too. I think I still have some Maracyn 2 left.
want to confirm I understand what you are suggesting:
-1) move the parrots into a 2nd QT, treat with Maracyn 2 and aquarium salt?
-2) moke and friends stay in the 1st QT until main tank is stable. Maybe get them some plants? even like a fake one. The tank is barebottom right now.
-3) WC and treat 55 gal. How much Water should I change? how many times weekly? What do I treat it with?

parameters have been consistent at 7.6ph, 0 NH+, 0 nitrites, 20ppm nitrate with 1-2 monthly 30% WC. Originallly, Cut back on water changes in order to get BB. I used to do once a week due, but switched to 1x a month in order to establish BB. But open to any advice you have . Thanks again for your endless kindness. Still trying to figure out how to keep the conditions pristine and disease free. Quarentining the fish beforehand has definitely helped!~

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I'm not a fan of these fish, they are too mutated for my liking and health issues are not surprising.
I believe swim bladder issues are not to uncommon with these fish.
I don't think that is the problem though.
As you mentioned the scales are protruding i suspect dropsy.If you look down on the fish from above,do all the scales look like they are standing out away from the body of the fish?If so I would treat for bacterial infections as dropsy is often a result of this.
thanks, Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7

here are some pictures I took today of the one with the rough scales. Today it swam straight into the heater and hit itself. Both of them have been more out into the open today. but the not eating still concerns me as well as the scales. It does kinda look like it is having a bouyancy issue 50% of the time from how it sits in the corners and on the heater. Wondering if I should dose them seperately or rehome. What meds do you suggest using? and what meds should I put in the main tank to get rid of whatevers in there.
IMG_2834.JPG
IMG_2834.JPG
IMG_2839.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Move to a qt tank. The kanaplex has good coverage. Salt 1 tsp per gallon.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Move to a qt tank. The kanaplex has good coverage. Salt 1 tsp per gallon.
Thanks, Dr. Kno4te! sounds great! can I use a plastic rubbermaid tub in case I can't get another 10 gal?

Will do the Kanaplex and salt for the parrots in their new temp home. Thanks for your help!
What should I do for the main tank after I remove the parrots?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Salt the main tank. Just watch the other fish for now. If anyone else start acting funny then will see.

Rubbermaid tub or anything big enough and with a cover. Keep a weight of some kind on the cover.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Salt the main tank. Just watch the other fish for now. If anyone else start acting funny then will see.

Rubbermaid tub or anything big enough and with a cover. Keep a weight of some kind on the cover.
I did a 10 gal water change(20%) yesterday on the main tank. And what do you know my nitrates are 40 ppm still today!!!!! To me that seems really high cause I have the plants and then 4 giant danios, 4 glolights danios, and 2 blood parrots? Should I do a 50+% WC? Could the nitrates be why the parrots aren't feeling good?

I haven't changed or cleaned the carbon or sponge on the filter either.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would be as ur nitrates may have been even higher.

Would do a wc about fin level. That would be better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store