Three Sperata allegedly aor from Ray Chan

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Easy fish. Feed enthusiastically, prefer pellet. Got these from Ray about 8-10 months ago at 3". They are ~12"-15" today. Don't like each other but co-exist if made to, with some beating, in 240 gal, where they grew up to ~8". Don't appear to bother anyone else yet.

Now in 4500 gal.

Ray says they are aor for sure. IDK how to tell to confirm. Too many "aor" turn out to be accicularis. Seenghala I think we never see in the trade. So in my mind it's between aor and accicularis. I hope for aor.

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Man I want one of these so bad but haven't seen in quite some time personally. Nice fish biggerthebetter!

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks guys!

Goodness, you've been busy updating, thanks.
Have some time while out of commission with a blown lower back.

Man I want one of these so bad but haven't seen in quite some time personally. Nice fish biggerthebetter!
Why? What's so attractive about them to you?

Reactions: coolcomfort

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Thanks guys!
What's not to like? Shovelnose looking cat that's silver lol. Well it goes a little deeper than that I had one when I was a new keeper and somehow fail this fish many years ago. I've actually tried looking for these but they have disappeared from everyone's list locally nor have I seen online.

Have some time while out of commission with a blown lower back.

Why? What's so attractive about them to you?
What's not to like? Shovelnose looking cat that's silver lol. Well it goes a little deeper than that I had one when I was a new keeper and somehow fail this fish many years ago. I've actually tried looking for these but they have disappeared from everyone's list locally nor have I seen online.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
They are beautiful! How big do they get? They look a LOT like Armored Catfish (that's all I know the species as - I have one, very hard to get a pic of, as he's always in hiding, like my Spotted Raphael), but with a different head!

Ok, just saw they get to 39", lol! WAY too big for my little 90gal. (Also, I like my snails :) )

I have not been able to find any pics online of my species - think of a Spotted Raphael, but without the spots - about 8" max, same size as a Spotted (I've had him for ~10yrs now), but not a Acanthodoras spinosissimus
==============
In fact, I just went through the whole page on Planet Catfish and nothing aside from the Spotted looks even remotely like it -
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/subfamily.php?subfamily_id=8

Though he does kind of look like a Platydoras Costatus - not sure the head is that flat though -
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=166

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store