Growth on Jag gill plate

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
5yr old male Jag. Been struggling about 2 weeks. Has a soft tissue growth about half the size of a golf ball inside the outer edge of his gill plate. Ran a full course of Tetracyclene, Kanaplex and Metro. Last 2 days med free but ep salted the tank. Just now finished a meth blue bath, and after the 20min bath, I laid him out to take a look inside. This growth is somewhat hollow, and a gentle squeeze produced a bit of blood and puss. It has a hole in it, so I swabbed a meth soaked qtip inside the growth. It is very attached to the flesh, so cutting it off didn't seem feasible. Hasn't eaten 2 weeks, but that's minor so far. Lays on bottom round the clock, but can swim forward/backward just fine. Changes spots to lay from time to time. A pic of the fish in tank would show only a slight gill flare. I couldn't photo out of tank, he is 17ins and a bit tough to work on. Hope my description is of help, any solid advice on further action is greatly welcomed

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
without removal being an option I think you are doing all that you can. Just try to keep the water as clean as possible. Continue with any antibiotics to keep an infection away.
I know this is a dark side of the hobby but if it comes to the point that the fish is in considerable pain and cannot eat . It may be time to put it down.
That may still be way off at this point, but for the sake of the animal you may need to consider that in the future.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Thx BIG_G.. I see a slight improvement this morn. Swelling is down, but just fractionally. I understand what you say about quality of life etc, I wont let him suffer long. This guy is notorious for hunger strikes, so no feed 2 wks is not a biggie at this point. It was suggested to me elsewhere that this may be result of a swollen thyroid and potassium iodine may be a good treatment? Ever hear of such a thing?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I have never dealt with it personally but have done some reading on the subject.
I found a link that explains the subject a little.

https://en.wikivet.net/Goitre_-_Fish

Is there any way you could get a photo of the spot in question? It may help with a diagnosis.
The article states that the nitrites effect the fishes ability to absorb iodine. Have you had an issue with your nitrite in the past?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just like humans, fish get tumors, and at 5 years of age (maybe equivalent to 50 or more in humans) a distinct possibility.
I use a veterinary text book called Self-Assessment Color Review of Ornamental Fish, by Gregory Lewbart, published by the Iowa State University Press, before adding any medications.
This text book is full of case studies, and color photos, and X-ray plates. There are at least 10 studies having to do with tumors (granulomas the term in the text book) in ornamental fish, so not uncommon.
Medication would of little use in these situations, unless to prevent infection after surgery.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You stated that the tumor was on the outer edge of the gill plate.
Is the growth under the gill plate or on the outside? If its on the outside of the plate
It may be some other type of growth and not a swollen Thyroid.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
@BIG_G, good read on the article, and that sounds very similar to what the fish is showing. No nitrite, water is always maintained at very good parameters. Growth is on the inside. Cant get a good pic without removing him. Did that yesterday, not happening today. He lives alone in a 7ft 265g tank. D duane .. I will seek out this book you mention, thx. I just don't see it as a tumor, being soft and pliable, somewhat hollow and a hole in it. He is better today than anytime since the beginning of this issue. Still holding on bottom, slightly less swollen and slightly more mobile. Slightly less labored breathing. Everything is slightly, but that's at least some positive.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Yes any improvement is a step in the right direction. If you are seeing positive results by what you're doing then keep it up and hope for the best.
The main thing at this point is making sure a secondary infection doesn't take hold.
With any wound that is always a possibility.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
A friend is giving me a medicated Wondershell .Cant hurt. I just don't want to keep heaving meds in the water. Water changes no issue, I will do 200gals a day in efforts to keep water pristine. Comes a point where he has to start eating. Get some protein in him, get some strength back has to be a good step

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
any chance of getting a pic posted?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store