Growth on Jag gill plate

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Just like humans, fish get tumors, and at 5 years of age (maybe equivalent to 50 or more in humans) a distinct possibility.
I use a veterinary text book called Self-Assessment Color Review of Ornamental Fish, by Gregory Lewbart, published by the Iowa State University Press, before adding any medications.
This text book is full of case studies, and color photos, and X-ray plates. There are at least 10 studies having to do with tumors (granulomas the term in the text book) in ornamental fish, so not uncommon.
Medication would of little use in these situations, unless to prevent infection after surgery.
great book. Not sure if I read your reply right but worth mentioning that I guess you can say that granuomas are a form of a tumor but not all tumors are granulomas.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
I don't know what it is, or should say was. Swelling is 95% gone. Prob now is he cant close his jaw. Any info I have received says that lockjaw is a symptom of the thyroid issue. Fish is far more active than last week, but obviously still cant eat. Yesterday treated the tank with potassium iodide. Hoping for some improvement soon. The better part of 3 weeks now no feed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store