Water hyacinth

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I've see people grow water lettuce and frog bit, but does anyone grow water hyacinths in their tanks?
I have only tried once(in a fish pool) but I obviously didn't care for it correctly. Grow light was too far away, room was too cold, water wasn't heated, the fish also ate them.

How close should the light be? Anything tips on how to at least keep them alive over the winter? Thriving would be ideal, but I'd be happy to just have them live. Lol

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
LOL -got a green house? I've been trying to bring them in for years and they always end up "melting" and turning into a big mess. I'm curious if anyone has solved this issue in the aquarium as well -I think the issue might be space as well as light. Another issue I had was cats. One year a cat ate all of my grape hyacinth, got sick and then went around to my front porch to puke it all up by my door. Only a cat will make that kind of effort for a complete stranger.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
How sad! I'd be so upset if a random cat did that.

So it's not just me? Haha
I wonder if there is a way I could make some kinda green house type top for my aquarium?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
they are invasive here, in a coldwater river

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Really? How cold does it get? I live up north in the us and if it drops under 50 they get really sappy and the edges turn black.
Maybe 50 or less.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Maybe 50 or less.
Well, I'll have to give them a shot in the house and see what happens.
My mom is having her last year with her pond. Yesterday she said it will all be going to me come fall. So I will have a whole lot of plants and some fish to make room for.
The only plant she has that I haven't been successful with is the hyacinth. I love them, but they never bloom for me either:/

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
We aren't allowed to have them anymore

Good luck with the pond

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Thanks. It's a little overwhelming, but I am grateful. All the extra equipment will be nice. And if I can hook her smaller pond up to mine and make a waterfall that would be awesome!

That sucks you can't have them because they are invasive:/

fishdat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2014
Western Canada
Ignoring the plants eventual size and how fast it propagates, what are we thinking about lighting requirements. Obviously their high light, but what do you guys think would actually be required to keep them healthy?

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store