Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Water hyacinth

Discussion in 'Planted Tank and Aquascaping' started by MrsE88, May 30, 2017.

1. Hendre

Hendre MFK Members

Hendre
      Yesterday at 5:22 PM
      Good ferts

GamerChick5567 likes this.
    2. Aquatank

Aquatank MFK Members

Ryan Micheal
      Yesterday at 11:19 PM
      My dad's tank has and Ecornia Crasipus in it and it is attached to a Driftwood and is in sub floating state.

3. tarheel96

tarheel96 MFK Members

Mike
      Yesterday at 5:09 PM
      I've tried growing Water Hyacinth indoors twice. I've taken newer WH plants from my pond and let them float in one of my planted tanks but both times they died.

-I dose my planted tanks with dry ferts from gla (potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate, and potassium or sodium phosphate + trace elements) so I know the WH had adequate amounts of macro and micro nutrients. The other plants grow well.

-I had ~72 watts LED 460/660nm grow lights and ~46 watts 6,500k fluorescent over a 30 gallon tank which is pretty high. The lights were a few inches above the WH ... too far away to cause a heat problem.

-pH, KH, GH, and TDS of the tank water were virtually the same as the source (pond).

-Water temperature shouldn't have been an issue and the air temperature indoors is close to ideal for Water Hyacinth (68-72º).

I couldn't figure out why the WH wouldn't grow.

Post #28 in the thread below @duanes@duanes states that he's found that WH simply doesn't do well under artificial light. That's the only explanation I can think of based on my experience.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/good-plant-for-my-sump.683463/

MrsE88 and FriedFlowerHornFillet like this.
    4. duanes

duanes MFK Members

Duane
      Yesterday at 11:17 PM
      Artificial light never worked for me, I even tried in a sunlit window box with glass ceiling and south facing exposure. They lasted a little longer, but didn't make it thru a long Wisconsin winter.
      [​IMG]
      According to the DNR web site, they are now considered an invasive species, to be regulated, even in cold Wisconsin

tarheel96 and MrsE88 like this.
    5. FriedFlowerHornFillet

FriedFlowerHornFillet MFK Members

Yesterday at 8:42 AM
      I too have tried fertilizers with no luck. I've also put aerators directly under the roots. One thing I have not tried is a cold water approach indoors...They die outside when it gets colder but perhaps the roots need cooler water?

MrsE88 likes this.
    6. Hendre

Hendre MFK Members

Hendre
      Yesterday at 5:22 PM
      Here they thrive in one river where the temp is usually between 54 and 67 farenheit

MrsE88 likes this.
    7. MrsE88

MrsE88 MFK Members

Kathryn
      Yesterday at 10:56 PM
      That could be. Mine were staying alive, not thriving or growing. But alive in my basement with a grow light with temps down to 55. But then my koi ate them all:/

I guess I'll just be experimenting to see if I can get them to make it.

@duanes@duanes are they invasive to mn too? I don't see how they could be here or in Wisconsin over the winter. The leaves go black and die off just from early may frost!

8. duanes

duanes MFK Members

Duane
      Yesterday at 11:17 PM
      I believe the Minnesota DNR is more realistic (I didn't see it on their list) than Wisconsin, unless Wisconsin is trying to get ahead of global warming. But I seriously doubt there is that kind of forward thinking by the current administration in WI these days.

MrsE88 likes this.
    9. MrsE88

MrsE88 MFK Members

Kathryn
      Yesterday at 10:56 PM
      @duanes@duanes lol. I think wh will be the least of their worries then.