New Build ~ 600 Gallon

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Glad the rays are liking the new tank. Not sure how many toddlers on crack I've seen but definitely enough to know what you mean.

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Looking good man
looks good mate.

impressed with how clean it all looks!
Having that tank on those shelving stands would make me nervous. Those things are not that sturdy.

Please let me know what you think of the CPR overflow. I would like to know if those are a good reliable option.

Everything is looking great!
Beautiful tank.

Amazing picutres of the rays, arrow.

Inspirational.
Glad the rays are liking the new tank. Not sure how many toddlers on crack I've seen but definitely enough to know what you mean.
Lookin' good, J!
That tank looks awesome! You got a great stock.

What plastic sheets did you use from Home Depot? I'm looking for alternatives to enclose my open stand
Thanks guys!

Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis its stronger that it looks. I confirmed it's rated weight capacity and am well under it. Steel can support vertical weight very well and this is level and only 50 gallons. Beats that press board stuff commercial stands are made of, IMO.

jvc66 jvc66 here is a pic of the label. The UPC code just under the barcode is something you can use to track it down. Make sure you include the digit at the beginning and end. It's way cheaper than finished wood and is waterproof. Downside, IMO is that it's flimsy as you would expect.

IMG_4466.JPG

Reactions: jvc66

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I am looking at how you did your sump and ultima combo and am curious how you like the combination so far. I keep thinking through for my future build and I think using a sump is a must just from a convenience stand point. I have never done a sump but from what I read a lot of people do a herbie or bean animal to ensure it being silent and no failures. Seeing you only have 2 gravity drains and 2 returns are you comfortable with your setup? Does the sump create a lot of noise?

Really curious.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I am looking at how you did your sump and ultima combo and am curious how you like the combination so far. I keep thinking through for my future build and I think using a sump is a must just from a convenience stand point. I have never done a sump but from what I read a lot of people do a herbie or bean animal to ensure it being silent and no failures. Seeing you only have 2 gravity drains and 2 returns are you comfortable with your setup? Does the sump create a lot of noise?

Really curious.
This sump is really only for utility and some bio to support the nursery during backwash schedules. It's a unique design with a very specific application. Think of it more as how a salt water sump just supports the skimmer and holds equipment. Probably not the best to model anyone else setup after unless they want to accomplish the same goals I did.

Most of my drip system designs etc are built around having a sump so it's a nice to have but the Ultima's do all the work and rather well at that. The sump isn't loud because the turn over rates are low. I don't want high turn over rates for this tank or it will rely too heavily on the bio from the sump. I use herbie and bean-animal hybrids on my other setups and they work great over the years. Those are my preferred overflow concepts for sump filtered tanks.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
JK47 JK47 that is actually what I am thinking. I like the idea of having a "bare" tank. Get the heaters and everything else out. I have very hard water so I like being able to put peat in the tank. With my 180g I have to hang fine filter socks in the tank to get the peat in there.

The other considerations I have is that it will be easier to a drip system and cheaper because I want filtration redundancy and 2 ultimas w/pumps is just very expensive. I don't see 1 ultimate being viable. If it happens to go down you are screwed. Not to mention I have read complaints that backwashing an ultima does impact BB so its better to have 2 and alternate weeks of backflushing.

In case of failure I guess you have 2 drains and 2 intakes. You would need either both intakes to clog or both drains to clog for you to end up with water on your floor.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
JK47 JK47 that is actually what I am thinking. I like the idea of having a "bare" tank. Get the heaters and everything else out. I have very hard water so I like being able to put peat in the tank. With my 180g I have to hang fine filter socks in the tank to get the peat in there.

The other considerations I have is that it will be easier to a drip system and cheaper because I want filtration redundancy and 2 ultimas w/pumps is just very expensive. I don't see 1 ultimate being viable. If it happens to go down you are screwed. Not to mention I have read complaints that backwashing an ultima does impact BB so its better to have 2 and alternate weeks of backflushing.

In case of failure I guess you have 2 drains and 2 intakes. You would need either both intakes to clog or both drains to clog for you to end up with water on your floor.
Exactly. Hence why I say my application is specific (I couldn't be happier) and most likely would not make sense for most.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store