Pufferfish not eating

Manas

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2017
Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
I bought 4 Amazon PUFFER-FISH, all low down at the bottom like dead. After a few hours they moved around a bit and then lied down. I have snails in the tank and some guppies. They are not eating anything .I tried frozen tubiflex worms, they didn't eat them. Also they are very shy. When They see me coming they all play Dead. What should i do. How so i start to comfort them.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
First off, puffers are very sensitive to meds, so normally other than meds for IP's i wouldnt medicated unless there are signs of disease and even then start with half dose if not sure...

2nd, you've only had them a day, they need time to settle, so maybe leave the lights off for a day or two and let them relax before feeding again...

Just like to also ask what size tank are they in and what sort of decor have you got in there???

Finally, what type of filtration are you running on the tank, and as mentioned above what are your tanks parameters for Ammonia / Nitirite / Nitrate???

Manas

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2017
First off, puffers are very sensitive to meds, so normally other than meds for IP's i wouldnt medicated unless there are signs of disease and even then start with half dose if not sure...

2nd, you've only had them a day, they need time to settle, so maybe leave the lights off for a day or two and let them relax before feeding again...

Just like to also ask what size tank are they in and what sort of decor have you got in there???

Finally, what type of filtration are you running on the tank, and as mentioned above what are your tanks parameters for Ammonia / Nitirite / Nitrate???
I have treated with half dose on meds. Also they are in 30 gallons.i have got rock caves (4), plants (plastic), and sand substrate with some gravels. I'm running internal power filter.
Also i would like to ask if they need a strong flow or they are Disturbed?. I have put some pest snails (7) and 2 apple snails. I have also added some guppies(3).
Waiting for the answer, thx

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ They don't necessarily hate strong flow but you will definitely want to have areas where they can rest and not get pushed around by the flow of water either...

As for the food items, snails are a good choice since this species of puffer is known to have overgrown teeth issues as they age, but guppies i would probably skip on...

Also curious how much turnover is your filter rated for??? i ask mainly because as you will find out over time is that puffers are messy eaters...

-EDIT-

Last question as well, how long has your tank been setup, and how exactly did you set it up?

Reactions: magpie

Manas

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2017
^ They don't necessarily hate strong flow but you will definitely want to have areas where they can rest and not get pushed around by the flow of water either...

As for the food items, snails are a good choice since this species of puffer is known to have overgrown teeth issues as they age, but guppies i would probably skip on...

Also curious how much turnover is your filter rated for??? i ask mainly because as you will find out over time is that puffers are messy eaters...

-EDIT-

Last question as well, how long has your tank been setup, and how exactly did you set it up?
Its been around 2 months(setup). Its properly cycled. I removed guppies(thought its cruel) there are only snails now. Capacity is 250L/hr

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's very little turnover. Only 2x an hour. I'd aim for at LEAST 5 times for puffers :)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Its been around 2 months(setup). Its properly cycled. I removed guppies(thought its cruel) there are only snails now. Capacity is 250L/hr
Without knowing exact parameters for your water quality, i can say everything sounds okay, except as Hendre Hendre mentioned your filter maybe a little underpowered, but with diligent water changes should be fine...

Maybe it will just be a matter of letting them settle...

Sarlindescent

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2017
If you can get any locally, life food can spark the feeding behavior. Brine shrimp or California blackworms is my preferred live. The movement they provide is hard for fish to resist.

Reactions: magpie and Manas
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store