40 Gallon FOWLR Stocking Advice?

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I have no experience with urchins. But they can be handy for taking care of algae problems.

Chromis either blue or green or a mix. With these it's important to find a good source for healthy specimens there is a dismal survival rate on chromis but if they are in good condition when you get them they are usually long lived.

There are lots of goby species you will have to find something that appeals to you and then ask some specific questions. I like the fire goby because it stays up in the water column. But there are tons of species that will stay on the bottom and work your sand bed digging all the time.

You may also like some of the blenny species as well.

The starfish is another that you may want to add once your tank is better established.
Unless you are considering some of the sand sifting species. They can be useful in keeping the sand bed stirred up. I wouldn't add any of the linckia species until the tank has been up for a while. This is another species that is dependent on a healthy specimen to start with.
Thank you for all the advice. I'll have to do some shopping around soon... I'm gonna take it real slow moving forward with what I add. I'll probably post pictures sometime soon!

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I have no experience with urchins. But they can be handy for taking care of algae problems.

Chromis either blue or green or a mix. With these it's important to find a good source for healthy specimens there is a dismal survival rate on chromis but if they are in good condition when you get them they are usually long lived.

There are lots of goby species you will have to find something that appeals to you and then ask some specific questions. I like the fire goby because it stays up in the water column. But there are tons of species that will stay on the bottom and work your sand bed digging all the time.

You may also like some of the blenny species as well.

The starfish is another that you may want to add once your tank is better established.
Unless you are considering some of the sand sifting species. They can be useful in keeping the sand bed stirred up. I wouldn't add any of the linckia species until the tank has been up for a while. This is another species that is dependent on a healthy specimen to start with.
Thank you for all the advice. I'll have to do some shopping around soon... I'm gonna take it real slow moving forward with what I add. I'll probably post pictures sometime soon!

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
image.jpg
Tank is doing well! I originally bought two baby Ocellaris clowns, but one seems to have disappeared in my tank... I assume it died but I am contemplating replacing it.
As far as fish, I've been wondering, how many can I actually fit in this tank (40 gallons)? I had a long list of ideas, but I'm not sure how many of them I can fit in here. (I've given up on the anemone idea, just fyi). Of the fish I listed originally, how many do you think I can actually put in here?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
You should keep that clown fish in your tank for at least 1 or 2 more weeks before adding new fishes. Also, the safe way is only add 1 fish per week so you don't have to deal with mini cycle. You must have a quarantine tank, soon or later you will waste all your money because of diseases killing all your fishes, medication usually NOT an option in a main tank. You will need more rocks if you want more fishes, create more caves, hangover. You can visit some LFS focus on saltwater and look at their display tank, you can see 3/4 of their tank volume are fill with live rocks and fishes are happy with those setup.
Note:
It's not recommended to buy baby fishes, they are hard to keep in newly tank setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Troy,pardon the derail but do you still have your AST?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No haha, I recently turned him over to a close friend. Why?
A little earlier I came across an old AST thread that a new member had bumped.I noticed your name in a few posts in there and when I saw this new thread I remembered your name and was just curious if you still had it nd how it was doing if so.

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store