Direction of the hobby

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Just curious where folks think the hobby is going. I have not been keeping fish as long as others. I started seriously back in '99 and kept mostly piranha until a year ago. I love this hobby and while I have not experimented a ton like others and not kept as many fish, I have loved all the forums over the years to see what folks keep. However, I have watched one forum slowly die away after another.

I don't think MFK will be going anywhere soon as there is still a good amount of activity, but it definitely seems like there are significantly fewer large builds than before. Activity in the DIY seems to have slowed down, and the "monster tanks" are not what they used to be. I really hope this turns around.

Not sure what others think. There are some great groups on Facebook with amazing builds around the world, so I am curious if the activity is just folks no longer visiting forums, but the hobby will stay strong. I am worried that over the coming years as some of our dedicated vendors being retiring we will not have new ones stepping up due to the change in demand.

Thoughts?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree don't think MFK is going anywhere soon. Personally I can't afford to buy any more large aquariums and only prefer new if I could. Also there is so much on YouTube that may have an affect on the DIY forum as you mentioned. Noticed a growing number of new members also. Unfortunately some of us will not be able to stay in the hobby due to age or illness.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Although I also believe the Monster side of the hobby is strong, I think there is a big trend in keeping smaller tanks and fish.
It's been happening for the past few years as population in larger cities continues to increase and cost of living in larger houses and apartments keep going up.
I have noticed a lot of new shows on TV about small houses and tiny apartments.
I still think the hobby itself is strong just moving towards a different direction.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
MFK will be around for a while. The forum will take some time and hopefully shouldn't die. There's a shift for sure with Facebook and YouTube. Good/experienced members lurking more. Lot of it is based on what's been done in the forum already. Just gotta get some reminders out there on where it all started.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I belong to a few polypterus fb groups but still prefer the communication on mfk....it better not be going anywhere lol way to much knowledge would be lost

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
It's a shame a lot of forums are dying.
I've watched a few British forum slowly disappear.
I think a lot of it is to do with Facebook.
Never had a Facebook account and I don't want one. I know lots of hobbyists that switched from forums to Facebook groups though.
I hope mfk stays strong and I'm sure it will.
As for the hobby,it's been around a long long time. I can't see it going anywhere soon.
If it does I'll blame the shrimp keepers.They are on the rise.:)

Reactions: tarheel96

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I agree that facebook is having a hand in kiling the forums.It's like the Walmart of social media.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Are we talking about the direction of "hobby" or "forum?"

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think monster fish keeping is a small niche in the hobby for sure, with it being way more popular in SE Asia than US.

The current trends in the hobby seem to focused on planted shrimp tanks around the 5 gallon range. And Nano reef set ups. Both make sense to me. They're each cheap relative to size and small/portable.The current generation of youngsters are not able to buy houses like the past generation did. So something small affordable and apartment friendly is the way to go.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store