Direction of the hobby

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Are we talking about the direction of "hobby" or "forum?"
A bit of both, but a bit more on direction. I love the DIY sub-forum and I am disappointed and the number of new threads or posts. Seems like experimentation is way down and the appetite for custom builds too. I also think this is a direct correlation to the popularity of some monsterfish.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
It's a shame a lot of forums are dying.
I've watched a few British forum slowly disappear.
I think a lot of it is to do with Facebook.
Never had a Facebook account and I don't want one. I know lots of hobbyists that switched from forums to Facebook groups though.
I hope mfk stays strong and I'm sure it will.
As for the hobby,it's been around a long long time. I can't see it going anywhere soon.
If it does I'll blame the shrimp keepers.They are on the rise.:)
I dont get the FB thing. Ok maybe cool to see some pics and post a comment but theres no real "meat and patatoes" info, no articles and the layout sucks.

Ive also seen some forums die down too but imo FB had norhing to do with it...lmao infact mfk did haha

Some forums are just too uptight. New ideas or disagreements are almost frowned upon.
Atleast here mods and members can have convos (fish related) and be on equal ground. Ive seen other sites where a mod will lock a thread because they arent "winning" the debate

Reactions: MariaS

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
My fear is the availability of more exotic fish being brought in as our go to importers slowly start retire and only farm raised petco quality are available. I think a lot of us monster tank and fish keepers are maintaining a low profile over the past couple years. For me it's just lack of interest since losing a couple of my rare species that I can't replace. I still keep monster fish just nothing exciting to share

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I dont get the FB thing. Ok maybe cool to see some pics and post a comment but theres no real "meat and patatoes" info, no articles and the layout sucks.

Ive also seen some forums die down too but imo FB had norhing to do with it...lmao infact mfk did haha

Some forums are just too uptight. New ideas or disagreements are almost frowned upon.
Atleast here mods and members can have convos (fish related) and be on equal ground. Ive seen other sites where a mod will lock a thread because they arent "winning" the debate
I find facebook much easier to navigate and the layout is better. There are also a lot more people, especially locally. It also didn't help that MFK was down for nearly a year and they mobile app disappeared. But I agree that some group mods on FB are nazis, but you get that in a forum too....
Only downfall with FB is that they are beginning to regulate the sale of live animals, but there are ways around that.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
My fear is the availability of more exotic fish being brought in as our go to importers slowly start retire and only farm raised petco quality are available. I think a lot of us monster tank and fish keepers are maintaining a low profile over the past couple years. For me it's just lack of interest since losing a couple of my rare species that I can't replace. I still keep monster fish just nothing exciting to share
This is also my biggest worry. I don't buy a ton of fish but worry about lack of options in the future.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I don't want to think about the hobby without Rapps and others like him and the options they provide.
Would be a sad day for sure.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I find facebook much easier to navigate and the layout is better. There are also a lot more people, especially locally. It also didn't help that MFK was down for nearly a year and they mobile app disappeared. But I agree that some group mods on FB are nazis, but you get that in a forum too....
Only downfall with FB is that they are beginning to regulate the sale of live animals, but there are ways around that.
I guess to each his own...i cant stand fb lol

Yeah without rapps, toyin, and mfk vendors i probably wouldnt be in the hobby

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Well there are some young people very into the hobby, I'm not going anywhere. Fish have become my lifes passion, and mixed with agriculture which runs deep in my family I know what I want to do at 15.

Forums are an immense source of expertise and I think they'll always have a place in my hobby.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
some of us will not be able to stay in the hobby due to age or illness.
hello; I resemble that remark. Will be 70 next month.

Hello; I have seen this as well. They have there own dogma and do not tolerate any opposing opinions.

other sites where a mod will lock a thread because they arent "winning" the debate
Hello; This has happened to me on other forums. Only rarely here.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store