Water Cow Goby

Wren88

Feeder Fish
Aug 6, 2017
Starting a 75 gallon tank for a single water cow goby! Any advice would be nice?!?!? He does eat live and I am under the impression tank mates will be hard to find....since it will eat whatever he can for in his mouth!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Starting a 75 gallon tank for a single water cow goby! Any advice would be nice?!?!? He does eat live and I am under the impression tank mates will be hard to find....since it will eat whatever he can for in his mouth!

Welcome aboard☺

SharptoothBass SharptoothBass this member may be able to help. Also type in Water Cow in the search bar upper left corner and there should be info there as well.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I've never had problems keepinamythig with it, not very territorial and even when it tries to be it doesn't put up much of a fight. I've kept them with cichlids, catfish like 4-line pim or Asian USD cat, Wolffish, leporinus, gar, arowana. You just don't want the size difference so drastic or another fish to be real slim. For instance I wouldn't keep a ropefish with one even if the rope is longer, but some thing like a pike cichlid would be fine if the same size or girth or hell the pike can be a little smaller as their mouths aren't that big in proportion to its body, theirs definitely bigger out there. I'd treat it like an Oscar. Now it has the potential to grow up to 17" and I've seen ones up to 15" so I'd recommend a larger tank mainly in width since it isn't overly active. A 4x2 would suffice. They're a cool fish ime, ive been able to hand feed, pet, and even have them sit in my hand once comfortable.

Wren88

Feeder Fish
Aug 6, 2017
I've never had problems keepinamythig with it, not very territorial and even when it tries to be it doesn't put up much of a fight. I've kept them with cichlids, catfish like 4-line pim or Asian USD cat, Wolffish, leporinus, gar, arowana. You just don't want the size difference so drastic or another fish to be real slim. For instance I wouldn't keep a ropefish with one even if the rope is longer, but some thing like a pike cichlid would be fine if the same size or girth or hell the pike can be a little smaller as their mouths aren't that big in proportion to its body, theirs definitely bigger out there. I'd treat it like an Oscar. Now it has the potential to grow up to 17" and I've seen ones up to 15" so I'd recommend a larger tank mainly in width since it isn't overly active. A 4x2 would suffice. They're a cool fish ime, ive been able to hand feed, pet, and even have them sit in my hand once comfortable.
Thank you guys! This guy is about 6-7 in and eats 3-4 live goldfish 3x per week. The store that has him has had him for at least 6mths. We are so excited to get him. I just finished setting up the tank. It will be 2 wks before we put him in there. I heard they like it warmer? Any suggestions on setting up a feeder tank?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
79 would be fine for temp. As far as feeders. You should try to steer clear. I've never had an issue getting them to eat. I've feed cichlid pellets, aro sticks, freeze dried shrimp and krill, and nightcrawlers. But if you really want to, you can buy a little ten gallon set it up with a HOB filter, and then beef up whatever feeders you wanna feed it for 2 weeks on pellets, as far as medication I don't know I don't really use meds or any chemicals. Or you can set up another small tank and buy live bearers and let them breed and once in a blue throw one in the tank I guess. You won't find anything that stays small for you to breed and grow fast. So if you plan on feeding all the time buying a bunch of feeders from your lfs and beefing them up every 2 weeks is probably your best bet.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
I have a 4 inch marbled sleeper goby in my tank as long as tankmates are similar in size they should be fine, with mine I have
X1 indo datnoid 2.5inch
X2 peacock bass 3inch
X1 mala wolffish 4 inch
X1 featherfin catfish 3 inch
X1 tyre track eel 6inch
The marbled goby is quite territorial it bullies the Wolf fish only when the Wolf fish comes close
They will get between 14 and 25 inches so u will need a bigger tank but other tankmates include
Widebar silver dollars
Polypterus bichir species
Arowana
Odoe pike
Plecos etc

Reactions: Wren88

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I have a 4 inch marbled sleeper goby in my tank as long as tankmates are similar in size they should be fine, with mine I have
X1 indo datnoid 2.5inch
X2 peacock bass 3inch
X1 mala wolffish 4 inch
X1 featherfin catfish 3 inch
X1 tyre track eel 6inch
The marbled goby is quite territorial it bullies the Wolf fish only when the Wolf fish comes close
They will get between 14 and 25 inches so u will need a bigger tank but other tankmates include
Widebar silver dollars
Polypterus bichir species
Arowana
Odoe pike
Plecos etc
Marbled goby is a completely different species. Gets larger and more territorial. Has an appetite for bigger prey. Bigger mouth to body ration slightly, and bigger teeth.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Marbled goby is a completely different species. Gets larger and more territorial. Has an appetite for bigger prey. Bigger mouth to body ration slightly, and bigger teeth.
Interesting how big do they get the cows then ik they look very similar

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Interesting how big do they get the cows then ik they look very similar
Water cow goby is eleotris Picta I believe might have the first part of the name misspelled. Their shape is kind of similar, the marbled goby may have a spoonbead in comparison while the water cow is more straight, but pattern not at all. Water cow goby get to 17" max where as marbled gobys have the potential of getting over 2'.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Water cow goby is eleotris Picta I believe might have the first part of the name misspelled. Their shape is kind of similar, the marbled goby may have a spoonbead in comparison while the water cow is more straight, but pattern not at all. Water cow goby get to 17" max where as marbled gobys have the potential of getting over 2'.
Snapchat-1290240966.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store