15,000 gallon shipping container aquarium idea

Abyssalisk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
Utah
I've been pondering a lot about how I want to upgrade once I make the move over to Washington State. I'd gotten a quote of 55,000$ from Midwest Custom Aquariums for a 15' x 5' x 5' aquarium and it shot my hopes down real fast lol. After a few days of brainstorming I came up with the idea of using a shipping container. I found a few companies, such as Modpools, that create plug and play portable pools with a viewing window. Here's some examples.

modpools-shipping-container-26885.jpg hilfiger-container-pool.jpg

These were still expensive (~35000$) but not nearly as bad with more water volume. I kept this idea in the back of my mind for a few weeks and recently re-read through A arapaimag 's 50,000 gallon build and had an idea. I could use his metal bracing idea with viewing windows on the shipping container for a cheaper, DIY friendly build. I would probably use 2" acrylic over 1" glass like he did but the concept would be the same. I'd also only fill the container with 6ft of water instead of the entire way to reduce pressure and create a beautiful paludarium/vivarium effect. The advantage to this instead of just cementing a build is that I'm not committed to a location. The tank would be portable just like the swimming pools were. here's a pic of A arapaimag 's build and a quick sketch of my idea.

1111.jpg Shipping tank 1.PNG

I incorporated the same ideas from his build and added the steel beams across the top for structural support. The panels would be standard 4x8 plexi sheets. I'm extremely curious to know exactly how the glass panels were siliconed ie behind the frame, inside the frame, etc. Just to help me plan out what I'd do for the shipping container. Let me know what you guys think though! I feel this is a much cheaper alternative to a portable "Monster" aquarium than ordering something from a company.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I don't know, but I don't think shipping containers are invincible. They may not hold that much water without any issues.

kiwiraka

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2017
It could work... Shipping containers lost off cargo ships are dangerous due to being water tight and and taking the pressure of the surrounding water (as they float just under the surface). Keep us posted if you go ahead with it.

Abyssalisk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
Utah
The two swimming pool companies cut their pools down to 5'3" so I know as far as holding water that it can atleast be filled to that point. Even if it would need reinforcement that's proof that they can hold up. I was hoping to fill it to the 6ft mark so hopefully the 9" difference can be compensated for. I guess we'll find out if/when I decide to pursue it :D

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Look into frp tanks. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter went that route and it's what a lot of aquariums do. Your problem is always going to be the cost of the viewing panel due to the height you want.

Abyssalisk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
Utah
Look into frp tanks. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter went that route and it's what a lot of aquariums do. Your problem is always going to be the cost of the viewing panel due to the height you want.
Will do. I've priced out the panels to be 3k a piece. Obviously the price depends on how many windows and the orientation they'd be in. Just because I'd want to design a floor to ceiling viewing area makes my design still around 35k. However, somebody who just wanted say 4 4x8 panels viewing the top 4 feet horizontally could build a 40ft tank for under 20k. That's the beauty of it (if it works haha). I just love the idea of picking the beast up with a shipping truck and driving it somewhere else. :D

Reactions: J. H.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Even if it can be done, it's more problems than it's worth. I think Joey, "The King of DIY" is the benchmark. He built a 2K aquarium in his aquarium gallery, but recently lost his precious arowana due to an unforeseen problem. Just think of all the problems you've already had trying to stock your 850 and then multiply that by 20.

For projects like this, you really need an unlimited budget also, where $55k wouldn't shot down hopes. The long-term costs could easily be over $500,000 depending on where you live. Yes, a half of a million dollars for an aquarium of this size over it's lifetime. 15,000 gallons is basically a fish "facility" and may require one or two employees to operate. Even if you have free volunteers, the costs could easily run $50 a day ($20K per year) for food, water, heating, cooling, ect.

It's a long-term commitment also. I've been caring for my fish for about 15 years now. I hear they should live 30+ years if I do my job well.

Reactions: J. H.

Abyssalisk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
Utah
20,000$ a year isn't intimidating in the slightest. I have no problem paying off a long term expense. 55,000$ as an up front expense is what shot my hopes down as it would take longer for me to save that amount of money and slow my progress down. Joey's 2,000 gallon cement box doesn't impress me at all. I know members on here with glass tanks bigger than that. I understand and appreciate your advice but fish are more than just a hobby for me. I'm a monster fish keeper, always will be.

Reactions: Grinch
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store