Aqua Alex's Fish Profile: Redhook Silverdollar (Myleus Rubripinnis)

A

AquaAlex1993

14606_565529943461401_119586991_n.jpg 430781_565530283461367_2045003176_n.jpg 18446724_1710601682287549_3666760645470480030_n (1).jpg Please enjoy a profile on one of my favorite fish.

Redhook Silverdollar (Myleus Rubripinnis)
Common Name: Redhook, Red fin Silverdollar
Genus: Myleus
Family: Serrasalmidae (a family that includes Piranha, Pacu, Metynnis, Myleus, Myloplus, and Mylossoma)
Origin: Northern South America (Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Brazil and more)
Care Level: Easy
Redhooks are very easy to keep provided that they are housed in an appropriately sized aquarium with plenty of filtration, clean water, and other redhooks as they are a schooling fish.
Full Grown Size: Up to 12’’
Diet: Myleus silverdollars are omnivores. This means that they will eat both meat and vegetables. Thus they are not picky eaters and will quickly learn to eat any and everything offered. Some examples of foods that I personally have found Redhooks to love include lettuce, market shrimp, bloodworms, blackworms and Krill. Provide them with the best quality pellet and flake food you can and mix in other goodies mentioned above.
For the best quality pellets and flake foods please check out: www.yourfishstuff.com
Tankmates: Redhook silverdollars are a schooling larger growing tetra that are suited for larger community aquariums. Redhooks should be kept in groups of 3 or more. You can also mix and match with other silverdollar species because in the wild many different silverdollar and pacu species are found swimming near each other in search of food and protection. Because of their larger growing size, I would personally avoid keeping these with smaller fish like neon tetras because there is always the risk of the redhooks having a snack. They pose no threat to other medium to larger fish. Hobbyists should be aware that occasional redhooks chasing each other is nothing to fret as this is common behavior in Myleus and their family in general and it is most likely a chance for them to establish a dominant redhook. Fish too large to be eaten are good tankmates! They can also be used as a dither for larger aggressive cichlids or monster fish tanks. Tank mates can include but not limited too: Other Myleus species, Metynnis species, Pacu, Flagtail Prochildous, Severums, Oscars, Angelfish, Chocolate Cichlids, Fancy Plecos, corydoras catfish, Arowanas, freshwater stingrays and the list goes on and on and on!
Tanksize: Due to the fact that they can grow up to 12’’ I would recommend a 75 gallon for a pair and larger for more. You can grow them out in smaller aquariums, however a big tank with lots of swimming space makes these guys thrive. 75 gallons to 1,000 gallons is the range for these guys. The more space the better.
Water Conditions: Very simple. P.H. 6.8-7.4 68-74 degrees F. Same water as any other hardy fish. You can use Amazon Blackwater aquarium solutions to create a natural biotope with other South American fish. Water changes should be done weekly.
AQUA ALEX’S FINAL REMARKS ON REDHOOK SILVERDOLLARS:
The Redhook Silverdollar is one of the most common Myleus species available in the aquarium hobby. With them being so common, some fish and pet stores will often confuse them with the common silverdollar (Metynnis Argenteus). But they are both 2 different fish, with the redhook having a much different body shape and look. A redhook silverdollar will have a black trimmed red anal fine (aka Hook) and be much more thicker wider and longer than a metynnis species.
As Redhook silverdollars mature, their coloration deepens. Redhooks may develop red spots, red patches and even red stomachs as they reach maturity.
It is normal for a newly add redhook silverdollar to be skittish upon arrival to it’s new fish tank. Leave the lights off for the full day when added to the aquarium. Make sure there are other silverdollars in the aquarium for it to feel safe.
For states where Piranhas are illegal to own, redhooks are your solution. Not only do they (and other Myleus) have the piranha look and shape but they are not aggressive and can in fact live with other fish while piranha can’t. Plus, redhooks are a LOT cheaper than piranha and are imported more frequently as well. Generally prices from juvenile redhooks can be anywhere from $12 to $20 depending on location and individual pet store and larger redhooks can vary from $30-$50 once again depending on the area you live and your pet store.
If you are looking for some activity in your predatory fish tank or monster fish tank, redhooks will add that activity. They constantly school and are always swimming. There presence will eventually draw your predatory fish out from hiding as they will realize that it is safe to come out because there is no bird or predators that would get them in the wild. Plus, no more food will go to waste. They attack like piranha when it’s feeding time.
These are one of my childhood comfort dream tropical fish and a fish I will always keep and recommend for someone looking for larger tetras.
If you have any further questions on Redhook silverdollars, please feel free to contact me and ask them.
If you don’t have any yet, consider adding a spark of red gold and silver to your aquarium!
Thanks for reading!
All the best!
Written and Produced by:
Aqua Alex Cardinale Exotic Tropical Fish with Aqua Alex © on AC Network

Reactions: J. H. and moe214

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
View attachment 1259430 View attachment 1259431 View attachment 1259432 Please enjoy a profile on one of my favorite fish.

Redhook Silverdollar (Myleus Rubripinnis)
Common Name: Redhook, Red fin Silverdollar
Genus: Myleus
Family: Serrasalmidae (a family that includes Piranha, Pacu, Metynnis, Myleus, Myloplus, and Mylossoma)
Origin: Northern South America (Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Brazil and more)
Care Level: Easy
Redhooks are very easy to keep provided that they are housed in an appropriately sized aquarium with plenty of filtration, clean water, and other redhooks as they are a schooling fish.
Diet: Myleus silverdollars are omnivores. This means that they will eat both meat and vegetables. Thus they are not picky eaters and will quickly learn to eat any and everything offered. Some examples of foods that I personally have found Redhooks to love include lettuce, market shrimp, bloodworms, blackworms and Krill. Provide them with the best quality pellet and flake food you can and mix in other goodies mentioned above.
For the best quality pellets and flake foods please check out: www.yourfishstuff.com
Tankmates: Redhook silverdollars are a schooling larger growing tetra that are suited for larger community aquariums. Redhooks should be kept in groups of 3 or more. You can also mix and match with other silverdollar species because in the wild many different silverdollar and pacu species are found swimming near each other in search of food and protection. Because of their larger growing size, I would personally avoid keeping these with smaller fish like neon tetras because there is always the risk of the redhooks having a snack. They pose no threat to other medium to larger fish. Hobbyists should be aware that occasional redhooks chasing each other is nothing to fret as this is common behavior in Myleus and their family in general and it is most likely a chance for them to establish a dominant redhook. Fish too large to be eaten are good tankmates! They can also be used as a dither for larger aggressive cichlids or monster fish tanks. Tank mates can include but not limited too: Other Myleus species, Metynnis species, Pacu, Flagtail Prochildous, Severums, Oscars, Angelfish, Chocolate Cichlids, Fancy Plecos, corydoras catfish, Arowanas, freshwater stingrays and the list goes on and on and on!
Tanksize: Due to the fact that they can grow up to 12’’ I would recommend a 75 gallon for a pair and larger for more. You can grow them out in smaller aquariums, however a big tank with lots of swimming space makes these guys thrive. 75 gallons to 1,000 gallons is the range for these guys. The more space the better.
Water Conditions: Very simple. P.H. 6.8-7.4 68-74 degrees F. Same water as any other hardy fish. You can use Amazon Blackwater aquarium solutions to create a natural biotope with other South American fish. Water changes should be done weekly.
AQUA ALEX’S FINAL REMARKS ON REDHOOK SILVERDOLLARS:
The Redhook Silverdollar is one of the most common Myleus species available in the aquarium hobby. With them being so common, some fish and pet stores will often confuse them with the common silverdollar (Metynnis Argenteus). But they are both 2 different fish, with the redhook having a much different body shape and look. A redhook silverdollar will have a black trimmed red anal fine (aka Hook) and be much more thicker wider and longer than a metynnis species.
As Redhook silverdollars mature, their coloration deepens. Redhooks may develop red spots, red patches and even red stomachs as they reach maturity.
It is normal for a newly add redhook silverdollar to be skittish upon arrival to it’s new fish tank. Leave the lights off for the full day when added to the aquarium. Make sure there are other silverdollars in the aquarium for it to feel safe.
For states where Piranhas are illegal to own, redhooks are your solution. Not only do they (and other Myleus) have the piranha look and shape but they are not aggressive and can in fact live with other fish while piranha can’t. Plus, redhooks are a LOT cheaper than piranha and are imported more frequently as well. Generally prices from juvenile redhooks can be anywhere from $12 to $20 depending on location and individual pet store and larger redhooks can vary from $30-$50 once again depending on the area you live and your pet store.
If you are looking for some activity in your predatory fish tank or monster fish tank, redhooks will add that activity. They constantly school and are always swimming. There presence will eventually draw your predatory fish out from hiding as they will realize that it is safe to come out because there is no bird or predators that would get them in the wild. Plus, no more food will go to waste. They attack like piranha when it’s feeding time.
These are one of my childhood comfort dream tropical fish and a fish I will always keep and recommend for someone looking for larger tetras.
If you have any further questions on Redhook silverdollars, please feel free to contact me and ask them.
If you don’t have any yet, consider adding a spark of red gold and silver to your aquarium!
Thanks for reading!
All the best!
Written and Produced by:
Aqua Alex Cardinale Exotic Tropical Fish with Aqua Alex © on AC Network
Hi I am thinking of getting some Red hooks for my Peacock bass tank. Will they tolerate warmer water? I keep the bass at 86. Thanks

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

Hi I am thinking of getting some Red hooks for my Peacock bass tank. Will they tolerate warmer water? I keep the bass at 86. Thanks
Yes, they will do fine at that temperature.
When you first get them, make sure to accumulate them a bit longer than usually. Float them for about a half hour. Then slowly open up the bag and discard a little more than half the water and slowly pour in some tank water. Let float a few mins more. Then you can release. This will get them used to their new temperature.
To get them to be nice and bright red coloration with orange spots, be sure to feed them well, and include shrimp, krill, and high quality foods. I find when keep in groups they tend to show off brilliant coloration.

Reactions: Cabinetman 1

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
Yes, they will do fine at that temperature.
When you first get them, make sure to accumulate them a bit longer than usually. Float them for about a half hour. Then slowly open up the bag and discard a little more than half the water and slowly pour in some tank water. Let float a few mins more. Then you can release. This will get them used to their new temperature.
To get them to be nice and bright red coloration with orange spots, be sure to feed them well, and include shrimp, krill, and high quality foods. I find when keep in groups they tend to show off brilliant coloration.
Thank you. I will do just that.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Great job. Hope you post more.
A foot long, highly active, schooling fish in a 75? :S
Also, how can you have profile on any SD without mentioning that thet will destroy your plants?

A

AquaAlex1993

Great job. Hope you post more.

A foot long, highly active, schooling fish in a 75? :S
Also, how can you have profile on any SD without mentioning that thet will destroy your plants?
Thank you, more profiles to come when I get time to them.
It takes time for redhooks to reach that big... generally up to 2 years, they aren't exactly the fastest growers. Rarely you will see them bigger than 9-10'' I have but that's because they have been kept in a big tank which mine will be.
As always in all of my fish profiles, the tank size I mention is always the beginning size and never the set tank size, so bigger is better.
A 75 is much bigger than a 55 in terms of width and length providing more swimming room.
As for the plant issue goes, I have live plants in my Myleus tank right now. I have never seen my red hooks or black bars go after my plants, not even once. They will eat the cucumber, and lettuce that goes in but not the plants. However, in a Metynnis tank, they'd be gone. Metynnis are the ones that devour plants. Myleus are very very very similar to piranha in that they are more of a meat eater, but they do also eat vegetable matter which can be in the form of plants in the wild, nuts, fruits, and vegetables that fall in the water. From my experience, I have never seen a Myleus go after plants. Keep them well fed. In fact, they sleep in the plants at night.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
A 75 is much bigger than a 55 in terms of width and length
I think they are both four foot tanks.
Thanks, didn't know there were SDs that could go with plants :)

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Metynnis is the regular common SD?

I have 7 SDs about 5-6 inches together with Java Ferns, i do have a torn leave once a while but by and large the plants are left alone

I now started adding Pothos (root only) into the tank and i see roots growing..

so i presume the key is for the SDs to be well fed?

I feed some obscure made in china pellets, which all my fishes love... as well as prawns stuffed with hikari pellets

And they love to **** during and just after my water change!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store